This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Spray Models and Their Influence on Ignition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The differences between spray models are investigated by comparing calculation results with experimental data. The calculations are performed using the KIVA-II code. The spray models TAB, which is the original model of KIVA-II, and the model developed by Reitz are calculated and compared. A semi-empirical spray model based on the TAB model is also formulated and compared with the other models. The penetration and droplet size distribution are compared with data from constant pressure bomb tests. The calculated ignition delay is compared with actual engine operating data- Each spray model has different characteristics influencing the atomization process. These differences result in discrepancies during the penetration, evaporation, and ignition.
|Technical Paper||Diesel Fuel - Availability, Trends and Performance|
|Technical Paper||In-Cylinder Control of Smoke and NOx by High Turbulent Two-Stage Combustion in Diesel Engines|
CitationTakenaka, Y., Kudo, Y., Kakegawa, T., Shiozaki, T. et al., "The Spray Models and Their Influence on Ignition," SAE Technical Paper 950279, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/950279.
- Amsden A. A. O'Rourke P. J. Butler T. D. “KIVA2 - A Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays” Los Alamos National Lab. 1989
- Reitz R. D. Diwakar R. “Structure of High Pressure Fuel Sprays” SAE 870598 1987
- Hiroyasu H. et al. SAE No. 890464 1989 97
- Koo J. Y. Martin J. K. “Comparisons of Measured Drop Sizes and Velocities in a Transient fuel Spray with Stability Criteria and Computed PDF's” SAE 910179 1991
- Gonzalez M. A. Lian Z. W. Reitz R. D. “Modeling Diesel Engine Spray Vaporization and Combustion” SAE 920579 1992
- Thcobald M. A. Cheng W. K. “A Numerical Study of Diesel Ignition” A.S.M.E Paper No. 87-Fe-2
- Magnussen B. F. Hjertager B. H. Sixteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion 719 727 The Combustion Institute 1976