This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Moment Method - A Comprehensive Tool for Race Car Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The MRA Moment Method computer program automates an original approach to the analysis of race car handling. For a given speed and power/braking condition, the computer solution covers the full maneuvering envelope and presents the results graphically in one figure. The model is based on a comprehensive nonlinear vehicle representation utilizing tire, chassis, and aerodynamic input data as available to race car designers and developers. The paper will first explain and illustrate the Moment Method in general terms, with some graphical examples.
The ability of the technique to model the behavior of an F.1 car traversing a small bump in mid-corner on a Grand Prix circuit is then reviewed. The results correlate well with the driver comments relative to changes in directional stability (plow/spin) as the car pitches over the bump. It also correlates well with the lateral acceleration/speed that the driver is willing to use in this corner.
CitationMilliken, W., Wright, P., and Milliken, D., "Moment Method - A Comprehensive Tool for Race Car Development," SAE Technical Paper 942538, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/942538.
- Milliken, W. F. Dell'Amico F. Rice R. S. “The Static Directional Stability and Control of the Automobile” SAE Paper No. 760712 1976
- Rice, R. S. Milliken W. F. “Static Stability and Control of the Automobile Utilizing the Moment Method” SAE Paper No. 800847 1980
- Milliken, W. F. Rice R. S. “Moment Method” IMechE Paper No. C113/83 1983
- Segal, David J. Milliken D. L. MRA Moment Method User's Manual Milliken Research Associates Inc. 1990 1994
- Milliken, W. F. Moment Method Interpretation Manual Milliken Research Associates Inc. 1989
- Perkins, C. D. Hage R. E. Airplane Performance, Stability and Control Wiley and Sons 1949
- Irving, F. G. An Introduction to the Longitudinal Static Stability of Low-Speed Aircraft Pergamon Press 1966
- “Chaparral G. S. Documentation Tests” Chevrolet File February 26 1968 April 15 1968