This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Detailed Investigation of Exhaust System Design in High Performance Two-Stroke Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The performance of two-stroke, high specific output engines, is largely dependent on the exhaust system. This paper describes an experimental study on the effect of each of the exhaust pipe sections on the actual engine performance. The exhaust system has been designed with interconnecting flanges that allow the various sections to be bolted together for testing on a dynamometer. This allows numerous combinations of various section designs to be evaluated. In an effort to understand the exact mechanisms involved in the pressure wave action within the engine, several pressure transducers have been located in the intake, crankcase, cylinder and exhaust.
CitationCartwright, A. and Fleck, R., "A Detailed Investigation of Exhaust System Design in High Performance Two-Stroke Engines," SAE Technical Paper 942515, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/942515.
- Blair G.P. Johnston M.B. “Simplified Design Criteria for Expansion Chambers for Two Cycle Gasoline Engines” SAE Transactions 79 1970 SAE 700123
- Hata N. Lio T. “Improvement of Two-Stroke Engine Performance with the Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS)” SAE Transactions 90 SAE 810922
- Nomura K. Hirano S. Gotohand T. Motoyama Y. “Improvment of Fuel Consumption with Variable Exhaust Port Timing in a Two-Stroke Gasoline Engine” SAE Transactions 94 SAE 850183
- Shimizu Y. “Two-Cycle Engine Exhaust Control Device” SAE 911228
- Fujikawa T. Ohtsu M. “Development of Automatic Exhaust Valve Control Device of Two-Stroke Engines” SAE 931506
- Fleck R. “Expanding the Torque Curve of a Two-Stroke Motorcycle Race Engine by Water Injection” SAE 931506
- Blair G.P. Cahoon W.L. “Design and Initial Development of a High Specific Output 500 cc Single-Cylinder, Two-Stroke, Racing Motorcycle Engine” SAE 710082
- Naitoh H. Nomura K. “Some New Development Aspects of 2-Stroke Cycle Motorcycle Engines” SAE Transactions 80 SAE 710084
- “Methods for the measurement of fluid flow in pipes” British Standards Institution 1966