This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Nittred Gray Cast Iron Piston Rings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE Brasil '94
The piston rings are responsible for maintaining some engine functioning parameters in an acceptable range, mainly the lubricant oil consumption and the blow-by gases flow from the combustion chamber to the crankcase. The wear resistance of these components is related to their capacity of properly exerting these functions during the whole engine life. In Diesel engines, all the rings have a wear resistant coating applied to their contact face with the cylinder wall. However, the chrome plating of the second groove compression ring is a conservative solution with the possibility of the development of lower cost alternatives.
This paper presents the results of engine tests that compare the wear resistance of second groove rings with chrome plating and rings made of nitrited gray cast iron. Test results with similar gray cast iron rings are also analyzed to infer the influence of the nitriding treatment on the wear resistance of this material.
|Technical Paper||Nitro-Oxidation of Lubricating Oil in Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine|
|Journal Article||Piston Ring Tribological Challenges on the Next Generation of Flex-fuel Engines|
|Technical Paper||Economics of the Chevrolet Engine|
CitationDemarchi, V. and Vatavuk, J., "Nittred Gray Cast Iron Piston Rings," SAE Technical Paper 942393, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/942393.
- Essig, G. Kamp, H. Wacker, E. “Diesel Engine Emissions Reduction - The Benefits of Low Oil Consumption Design” SAE Paper 90059 1990
- Zelenka, P. “Ways Toward the Clean Heavy-Duty Diesel” SAE Paper 900602 1990
- Walsh, M.P. Bradow, R. “Diesel Particulate Control Around the World” SAE Paper 910130 1991
- Vatavuk, J. et al. Aguas de São Pedro 1990 943 946
- Metals Handbook 4 9th Metals Park
- Demarchi, V. Vatavuk, J. “Development of Nitrided Oil Control Rings with Contoured Rails” SAE Paper 931670 1993
- Vatavuk, J. São Paulo 1994