This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
X-Ray Study of the Human Neck Motion Due to Head Inertia Loading
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Stapp Car Crash Conference
This study presents results from x-ray analysis of live human head/neck motion in sled test simulations of low-speed frontal, lateral, and rear-end vehicle impacts. The test subjects were 26 male and female adults, aged 22 to 61 years. Head/neck motion and the kinematic responses of each test subject were measured and analyzed by cineradiograph, high-speed film, accelerometers, and electromyography of the neck muscles.
The methodology used may provide insight into the mechanism of neck injuries caused by the head inertia loading. The actual kinematic responses of the head/neck were found to be more complex than previously thought. The experimental results suggest that the most significant factor of the head/neck response is the initial curvature of the cervical and thoracic spine. Looking specifically at the early motion of the head and neck in rear-end impacts, the cervical forward curvature (lordosis) and the thoracic rearward curvature (kyphosis) were found to straighten. In the leaning-forward or stooped-shoulder posture, the cervical spine was affected by compression load resulting from upward movement of the upper thoracic spine, and it appears that the cervical spine length was shortened. In all tests, the flexion and extension motions measured were never beyoned the physiological range.
CitationMatsushita, T., Sato, T., Hirabayashi, K., Fujimura, S. et al., "X-Ray Study of the Human Neck Motion Due to Head Inertia Loading," SAE Technical Paper 942208, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/942208.
- Mertz, H.J. Patrick L.M. “Investigation of the Kinematics and Kinetics of Whiplash” Proceedings of the 11th Stapp Car Crash Conference 175 206 SAE Paper 670919 1967
- Mertz, H.J. Patrick L.M. “Strength and Response of the Human Neck” Proceedings of the 15th Stapp Car Crash Conference 207 255 SAE Paper 710855 1971
- Foust, D.R. Chaffin D.B. Snyder R.G. Baum J.K. “Cervical Range of Motion and Dynamic Response and Strength of Cervical Muscles” Proceedings of the 17th Stapp Car Crash Conference 285 308 SAE Paper 73075 1973
- Schneider, L.W. Foust D.R. Bowman B.M. Snyder R.G. Chaffin D. B. Abdelnour T. A. Baum J. K. “Biomechanical Properties of the Human Neck in Lateral Flexion” Proceedings of the 19th Stapp Car Crash Conference 455 486 SAE Paper 751156 1975
- Ewing, C.L. Thomas D.J. Lustick L. Becker E. Willems G. Muzzy W.H. “The Effect of the Initial Position of the Head and Neck on the Dynamic Response of the Human Head and Neck to -G x Impact Acceleration” Proceedings of the 19th Stapp Car Crash Conference 487 512 SAE Paper 751157 1975
- Moffatt, E.A. Schulz A.M. “X-ray Study of the Human Neck During Voluntary Motion” SAE paper 790134 1979
- States, J.D. “Soft Tissue Injuries of the Neck” SAE Paper 790135 1979
- McElhaney, J. Snyder R. States J. Gabrielsen M. “Biomechanical Analysis of Swimming Pool Neck Injuries” SAE paper 790137 1979
- Severy, D.M. Mathewson J.H. Bechtol C.O. “Controlled Automobile Rear-End Collisions, an Investigation of Related Engineering and Medical Phenomena” Canadian Services Medical Journal VII 727 759 1955
- McKenzie, J.A. Williams J.F. “The Dynamic Behaviour of the Head and Cervical Spine During Whiplash” J. Biomechanics 4 477 490 1971
- Orne, D. Liu Y.K. “A Mathematical Model of Spinal Response to Impact” J. Biomechanics 4 49 71 1971
- King, A.I. Vulcan A.P. “Elastic Deformation Characteristics of the Spine” J. Biomechanics 4 413 429 1971
- Belytschko, T. Andriacchi T. McKenzie J.A. Galante J. “Analog Studies of Forces in the Human Spine: Computational Techniques” J. Biomechanics 6 361 371 1973
- Schultz, A.B. Belytschko T. Andriacchi T.P. Galante J. “Analog Studies of Forces in the Human Spine, Mechanical Properties and Motion Segment Behavior to be Published” J. Biomechanics 6 373 383 1973
- Muzzy WH III, Seemann M.R. Willems G.C. Lustic L.S. Bittner A.C. “The Effect of Mass Distribution Parameters on Head/Neck Dynamic Response” Proceedings of the 30th Stapp Car Crash Conference 167 184 SAE Paper 861886 1986
- Basio, A.C. Bowman B.M. “Simulation of Head-Neck Dynamic Response in -G x and +G y ” Proceedings of the 30th Stapp Car Crash Conference 345 378 SAE Paper 861895 1986
- Viano, D. C. “Influence of Seatback Angle on Occupant Dynamics in Simulated Rear-End Impact” Proceedings of the 36th Stapp Car Crash Conference 157 164 SAE Paper 922521 1992
- Viano, D.C. “Restraint of a Belted or Unbelted Occupant by the Seat in Rear-End Impacts” Proceedings of the 36th Stapp Car Crash Conference 165 177 SAE Paper 922522 1992
- Scott, M.W. McConnell W.E. Guzman H.M. Howard R.P. Bomar J.B. Smith H.L. Benedict J.V. Raddin J.H. Hatsell C.P. “Comparison of Human and ATD Head Kinematics During Low-Speed Rearend Impacts” Proceedings of the 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1 8 SAE Paper 930094 1993
- McConnell, W.E. Howard R.P. Guzman H.M. Bomar J.B. Raddin J.H. Benedict J.V. Smith H.L. Hatsell C.P. “Analysis of Human Test Subject Kinematic Responses to Low Velecity Rear End Impacts” Proceedings of the 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference 21 30 SAE Paper 930889 1993