This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
S.I. Engine Misfire Detection Through the Energy Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the method to detect S. I. engine misfire for the OBD II requirement. In most methods related to the misfire detection, the fluctuation of crankshaft speed is used as an input parameter[1, 2, 3, 4 and 5].
If the misfire detection is performed by the pattern of crankshaft speed without considering the engine dynamics, it is difficult to determine the misfire at high speed and low load condition. So this paper proposed the single degree of freedom energy model of engine dynamics for the misfire detection. Through this model the integral of torque by cylinder pressures are estimated using the variation of crankshaft speed and it is possible to detect the misfire by this integral value.
CitationLim, B., Lim, I., Park, J., Pae, S. et al., "S.I. Engine Misfire Detection Through the Energy Model," SAE Technical Paper 942059, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/942059.
- Rizzoni G. “Fast Transforms for Rapid Isolation of Misfiring Cylinders” SAE Paper 871915 1987
- Taraza Dinu “Possibility to Reconstruct Indicator Diagrams by Analysis of the Angular motion of the Crankshaft” SAE Paper 932414 1993
- Chen Simon K. Chen Scott “Engine Diagnostic by Dynamic Shaft Measurement: A Progress Report” SAE Paper 932412 1993
- Shiao Yaojung Moskwa John J. “Misfire Detection and Cylinder Pressure Reconstruction for S. I. Engines” SAE Paper 940144 1994
- Ribbens William B. Park Jaehong “Road Tests of a Misfire Detection System” SAE Paper 940975 1994
- Paul Burton Kinematics and dynamics of Planar Machinery Prentice-Hall, Inc. 433 510 1979
- Lim B. J. Lim Y. K. Park J. B. Son Y. J. Kim E. S. “Estimation of Cylinder Pressure in SI Engines Using the Variation of Crankshaft Speed” SAE Paper 940146 1994
- Lim Byeongjin Lim Yinkeon Kim Eungseo “Development and Use of PC Based Combustion Analyzer,” JSAE Spring Convention 1993