This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modelling the Source of Combustion Noise in a Direct-injection Diesel Engine Using CFD
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Combustion noise produced by the direct injection Diesel engine is a consequence of the dynamic equilibration of the high local pressures created in the combustion space following autoignition that stimulates the resonance modes, over a range of frequencies, of the gas contents of the engine cylinder.
In this paper Computational Fluid Dynamics has been used to study the effects of changes in engine design and operating parameters that, from empirical experience, are known to influence the noise output of an engine, and explanations confirmed or given for well-established behaviour.
CitationBlunsdon, C. and Dent, J., "Modelling the Source of Combustion Noise in a Direct-injection Diesel Engine Using CFD," SAE Technical Paper 941898, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/941898.
- Priede, T. Relation Between Form of Cylinder Pressure Diagram and Noise in Diesel Engines Proc. IMechE (AD) 1 1960 61
- Priede, T. Problems and Developments in Automotive Engine Noise Research SAE Trans Paper 790205 1979
- Priede, T. Road Vehicle Noise Noise and Vibration White R.G. Walker J.G. Ellis Horwood Publishers 1982
- Stephens, R.W.B. Bate A.E. Acoustics and Vibrational Physics London Edward Amold 1966
- Schmillen, K. Wolschendorff J. Cycle to Cycle Variations of Combustion Noise in Diesel Engines SAE Trans Paper 890129 1989
- Pischinger, F. Schmillen K. Leipold F. A New Measuring Method for the Direct Determination of Diesel Combustion Noise SAE Trans. Paper 790267 1979
- Hickling, R. Feldmaier D.A. Sung S.H. Knock Induced Cavity Resonance in Open Chamber Diesel Engines Jour. Acoustic Soc. America 1979 65 6
- Hickling, R. Chen F. Feldmaier D.A. Pressure Pulsations in Engine Cylinders Engine Noise - Excitation, Vibration and Radiation Hickling R. Kamal M.M. London Plenum Press 1982
- Schmillen, K. Schneider M. Combustion Chamber Pressure Oscillations as a Source of Diesel Engine Noise Proceedings of COMODIA 85 Tokyo 1985
- Smith, R.P. Sprenger D.F. Combustion Instability in Solid Propellant Rockets 4th Symp. (International) on Combustion Camb., Mass. 1952
- Morse, P.M. Vibration and Sound 2nd London McGraw-Hill 1948
- Liiva, P.M. Valentine J.N. Cobb J.M. Acker W.P. Use of Multiple Pressure Transducers to find In-Cylinder Knock Location SAE Paper 922368 1992
- Blunsdon, C.A. Dent J.C. The Simulation of Autoignition and Knock in a Spark Ignition Engine with Disk Geometry SAE Paper 940524 1994
- Amsden, A.A. O'Rourke P.J. Butler T.D. Kiva-ll - A Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows Los Alamos National Laboratory Report, LA-11560, MS 1989
- Blunsdon, C.A. Malalasekera W.M.G. Dent J.C. Application of the Discrete Transfer Model of Thermal Radiation in a CFD Simulation of Diesel Engine Combustion and Heat Transfer SAE Paper 922305 1992
- Reitz, R.D. Atomisation and Spray Technology 1987 3 309 337
- Liu, A.B. Mather D. Reitz R.D. SAE Paper 930072 1993
- Liu, A.B. Reitz R.D. Atomisation and Sprays 1993 3 55 75
- Konig, G. Sheppard C.G.W End Gas Autoignition and Knock in a Spark Ignition Engine SAE Paper 902135 1990
- Liiva, PM Personal Communication 1993