This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Air-Assisted Fuel Injection into a Cylinder
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The CFD code KIVA has been applied to the simulation of the transient air-assisted fuel injection(AAFI) process, in which air and fuel at moderate pressures are mixed in an interior chamber of the injector before passing through a pintle valve into air at near ambient pressure in a cylinder. On passage through the pintle valve fuel is atomised.
Because of the small dimensions of the flow passages within the injector, a very fine computational grid structure is used to accurately resolve the flow behaviour. Adopting an axisymmetric grid structure enables symmetry to be exploited.
The computational results are validated with experimental data for fuel jet penetration and spread with time, obtained using Schlieren visualisation.
The simulation of air blast atomisation in an engine cannot utilise the fine grid structure above because of the large computational resources required. To overcome this problem, the atomisation process at the annular pintle is modelled using fuel injection capabilities within the KIVA and KIVA-II codes. By maintaining mass and momentum conservation at the pintle exit, between the original KIVA prescription and that described above, an approximation to the accurately modelled injection process is obtained. This enables a relatively coarse three dimensional Cartesian grid system used in modelling an engine cylinder to be employed.
The agreement between modelled and experimental results are quite acceptable.
CitationDas, S. and Dent, J., "A Study of Air-Assisted Fuel Injection into a Cylinder," SAE Technical Paper 941876, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/941876.
- Plohberger D. Mikulic L. A. Landfahrer K. Development of a Fuel Injected Two-Stroke Gasoline Engine SAE Paper 880170 1988
- Nuti M. Direct Fuel Injection: Piaggio Approach to Small 2T SI Engines SAE Paper No. 880172 1982
- Duret P. Ecomard A. Audinet M. A New Two-Stroke Engine with Compressor-Air-assisted Fuel Injection for High Efficiency Low Emissions Applications SAE Paper 880176 1988
- Mclnnes J.M. Bracco F.V. Computations of the spray from an Air-assisted Fuel Injector SAE Paper No. 902079 1990
- Schechter Michael Levin Michael B. Air Forced Fuel Injection System for 2-Stroke DI Gasoline Engine SAE Paper No. 910664 1991
- Scott D. Yamaguchi J. Pneumatic Fuel Injection Spurs Two-Stroke Revival Automotive Engineering 94 8 74 79 1986
- Diwakar R. Fansler T. D. French D. T. Ghandhi J. B. Dasch C.J. Heffelfomger D.M. Liquid and Vapour Fuel Distribution from an Air-Assist Injector- An Experimental and Computational Study SAE Paper 920422 1992
- Blair G.P. The Basic Design of Two-Stroke Engines” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1990
- Amsden A. A. O'Rourke P.J. Butler T. D. KIVA-II: A Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays Los Alamos National Laboratory Report LA-11560-MS 1989
- Dukowicz J.K. A particle-fluid Numerical Model for Liquid Sprays J. Comp. Physics 35 229 253 1980
- Launder B.E. Spalding D.B. Mathematical models of Turbulence Academic Press New York 1972
- Amsden A. A. Ramshaw J. D. O'Rourke P. J. Dukowicz J. K. KIVA: A Computer Program for Two- and Three-Dimensional Fluid Flows with Chemical Reactions and Fuel Sprays Los Alamos National Laboratory Report LA-10245-MS Feb. 1985
- Amsden A. A. Butler T. D. O'Rourke P. J. Ramshaw J. D. KIVA: A Comprehensive Model for 2D and 3D Engine Simulations SAE Paper 850554 1985
- Howes P. The New CAV Microjector SAE Paper 800509
- Lee C.F. Bracco F.V. Initial Comparisons of Computed and measured Hollow-Cone Sprays in an Engine SAE Paper 940398
- Ingebo R.D. Liquid Fuel Spray in High Pressure Gas Flow Proc. ICLASS-85 Imperial College London 8-10 July 1985
- O'Rourke P.J. The TAB Method for Numerical Calculation of Spray Droplet Breakup SAE paper 872089
- Taylor G.I. The Shape and Acceleration of a Drop in a High Speed Air Air Stream Taylor G.I. Batchelor G.K. III University Press England 1963
- Knight B.E. “The Performance of a Type of Swirl Atomiser” Proc. I. Mech. E. 169 104 105 1955
- Dent J.C. A Basis for Comparison of Various Experimental Methods for Studying Spray Penetration SAE paper 710571