This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Gas Dynamic Modelling and Experiment Validation for the Exhaust Muffler of a Spark Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a gas-dynamic model for the basic elements of exhaust mufflers in a spark ignition (SI) engine. Attention has been paid in particular to the modelling of the concentric tube resonator with a perforated pipe inside, since this element has been a problem for gas dynamic modelling (GDM) of mufflers. The model was coupled with a previously developed engine simulation code, ENGWA-1, for both acoustic and gas dynamic performance analysis of mufflers. Measured pressures in the positions of interest in a practical exhaust system and exhaust noise spectra from a tail pipe were compared with simulations for validating the model. Results show that the model can satisfactorily predict measurements. Moreover, how to use the computer code for muffler design has been discussed for the point of engineering application.
CitationYao, X. and Cheng, C., "Gas Dynamic Modelling and Experiment Validation for the Exhaust Muffler of a Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 941734, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/941734.
- Coates S.W. Blair G.P. Further Studies of Noise Characteristics of I.C.Engine Exhaust Systems SAE paper 740713 1974
- Mayer Klaus Peter Nowotny Bernd MTZ 42 391 396 1981
- Jones A.D. Brown G.L. Determination of Two-stroke Engine Exhaust Noise by the Method of Characteristics J. of Sound and Vibration 82 3 305 327 1982
- Ferrari Giancardo Castelli Roberto Computer Predictions and Experimental Tests of Exhaust Noise in a Single Cylinder Internal Combustion Engine Noise Control Engineering Journal 24 2 50 56 Mar. Apr. 1985
- Yao Xiao G. Exhaust Noise Prediction for a 4-stroke, 4-cylinder Gasoline Engine Inter-Noise 87 Proceedings 1 151 154 1987
- Sapsford Steve Automotive Engineering 1990 10 11 36
- Sapsford Steve M. et al SAE paper 920686
- Yao Xiao G. Cheng Chang Q. Design Application of Computer Simulation to Exhaust Muffler for I.C.Engines Proceedings of ICA 14, EP-8 1992
- Yao Xiao G. et al Further Study on Noise Simulation with Improved characteristic Method Transaction of CSICE 9 1 71 1991
- Yao Xiao G. Beijing Institute of Technology 1989
- Yao Xiao G. et al Improving Charging Performance of V8 Diesel at Low Speed Using the Resonant Induction Technique ACTA
- Li Wei Cheng Chang Q. Journal of IC Engine Engineering 1990
- Benson R.S. et al Thermodynamics and Gas dynamics of Internal Combustion Engines I Clarendon Press Oxford 1992
- Munjal M.L. Acoustics of Ducts and Mufflers John Wiley and Sons 1987
- Morse P.M. Theoretic Acoustics Mc Graw-Hill New York 1968