This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Testing of a High Power Inverter 250 KW Switched Reluctance Machine Starter/Generator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Preliminary testing of a 125kW power inverter for a switched reluctance aircraft engine starter/generator system has been completed and system testing of the complete starter/generator system has been initiated. The starter/generator employs a single switched reluctance machine (SRM) and a generating system architecture that produces two separate 270Vdc buses from that single SRM The machine has six phases with three of the phases connected to one inverter supplying 125kW to one 270Vdc bus while the other three phases are connected to a second inverter supplying 125kW to the other 270Vdc bus. Each bus has its own EMI filter and controller in addition to its own inverter. Two types of inverters have been developed, one type employs MOS Controlled Thyristors for the controlled switches and the other type employs Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistors. The link capacitor bank for each inverter employs multilayer ceramic capacitors to meet the starter/generator's temperature requirements. These same multilayer ceramic capacitors are also used in the EMI filters. The measured performance data obtained for both inverters is presented.
CitationRadun, A., Lyons, J., Rulison, J., Sanza, P. et al., "Dynamic Testing of a High Power Inverter 250 KW Switched Reluctance Machine Starter/Generator," SAE Technical Paper 941162, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/941162.
- Richter E. “Application Considerations for Integral Gas Turbine Starter/Generator Revisited,” SAE Paper 892252 , Aerospace Technology Conference and Exposition Anaheim, CA Sept 1989 Aerospace Atlantic Dayton, OH 1990
- Richter E. “Switched Reluctance Machines For High Performance Operation In A Harsh Environment, A Review Paper,” Invited Paper at the International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM) 90 Boston, MA 1990
- Stephens C.M. “Fault Detection And Management System For Fault Tolerant Switched Reluctance Motor Drives,” Conf. Record IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting Sept. 1989 574 578
- MacMinn S.R. Jones W.D. “A Very High Speed Switched Reluctance Starter-Generator For Aircraft Engine Applications,” Proc. NAECON 89 Dayton, OH May 22-26 1989
- MacMinn S.R. Sember J.W. “Control Of A Switched Reluctance Aircraft Engine Starter-Generator Over A Wide Speed Range,” Proc. IECEC-89 Washington, DC Aug. 6-11 1989
- Cameron D.E. Lang J.H. “The Control of High Speed Variable Reluctance Generators In Electric Power Systems,” Proc. APEC 92 Boston, MA
- Radun A.V. Richter E. “A Detailed Power Inverter Design For A 250kW Switched Reluctance Aircraft Engine Starter/Generator,” 1993 SAE Aerospace Atlantic Conference and Exposition, Paper No. 931388 April 20-23 1993 Dayton, Ohio
- Radun A. Rulison J. Sanza P. “Switched Reluctance Starter/Generator,” SAE Aerotech 92 Oct. 1992 Anaheim, Ca
- Radun A.V. “Generating with the Switched Reluctance Motor,” Proc. APEC 94 Orlando, FL Feb. 13-17 1994
- Radun A.V. Rulison J.A. “An Alternative Low-Cost Current-Sensing Scheme For High-Current Power Electronics Circuits,” Conference Record of IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting Oct. 1990
- Temple V. Watrous D “Harris MOS Controlled Thyristor User's Guide,” Harris Application Note 1992
- Richter E. Ferreira C. Lyons J.P. Radun A.V. Ruckstadter E. “Initial Testing of a 250kW Starter/Generator for Aircraft Applications,” SAE Aerospace Atlantic Conference Dayton, OH April 1994