This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on Combustion Characteristics of DISC Rotary Engine Using a Model Combustion Chamber
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A model combustion chamber of Wankel type rotary engine was employed to study the DISC RE system. A two-stroke Diesel engine's cylinder head was replaced with this combustion chamber to simulate temporal change of air flow and pressure fields inside the chamber as an actual engine. The base engine was motorized to operate as a continuous rapid compression and expansion machine. Pilot fuel spray was injected onto a glow plug to form a pilot flame and it ignites the main fuel spray. The ignitability of pilot fuel, mixture formation process, ignition process of main fuel by pilot flame and the effect of pilot and main injection timings on combustion characteristics were examined.
CitationMoriyoshi, Y., Muroki, T., and Xu, W., "A Study on Combustion Characteristics of DISC Rotary Engine Using a Model Combustion Chamber," SAE Technical Paper 941028, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/941028.
- Dimpelfeld P. Humke A. Heat release characteristics of stratified charge rotary engine SAE Paper No. 870443
- Nguyen H.L. Addy H.E. Bond T.H. Lee C.M. Chun K.S. Performance and efficiency evaluation and heat release study of direct injection stratified rotary engine SAE Paper No. 870445
- Kagawa R. Okazaki S. Somyo N. Akagi Y. A study of a direct injection stratified rotary engine for motor vehicle application SAE Paper No. 930677
- Hasegawa Y. Yamaguchi K. An experimental investigation on air-fuel mixture formation inside a low-pressure direct injection stratified charge rotary engine SAE Paper No. 930678
- Eiermann D. Nuber R. Breuer J. Soimar M. Gheorghiu M. An experimental approach for the development of a small spark assisted diesel fueled rotary engine SAE Paper No. 930638
- Grasso F. Wey M-J. Bracco F.V. Abraham J. Three-dimensional computation of flows in a stratified charge rotary engine SAE Paper No. 870409
- Abraham J. Bracco F.V. 3-D computations to improve combustion in a stratified charge rotary engine - Part III SAE Paper No. 920304
- Raju M.S. Heat transfer and performance characteristics of a dual-ignition Wankel engine SAE Paper No. 920303
- Abraham J. Bracco F.V. Epstein P. 3-D computations to improve combustion in a stratified charge rotary engine - Part IV SAE Paper No. 930679
- Kamimoto T. Yagita M. Moriyoshi Y. Morita H. An experimental study of in-cylinder air flow with a transparent cylinder engine JSME Int. J. 31-1B 1998 150
- Muroki T. Gotou S. Morita K. A study of an outline of combustion for a direct injection stratified rotary engine SAE Paper No. 901600
- Igura et. al. Trans. of JSME 41-345 1975 1559
- Mizutani et. al. Trans. of JSME 38-311 1972 1844
- Ahn S.K. Kamimoto T. Matsuoka S. Measurement of flame temperature distribution in a D.I. Diesel engine by means of image analysis of nega-color photographs SAE Paper No. 810183
- Shioji M. Kimoto T. Okamoto M. Ikegami M. An analysis of Diesel flame by picture processing Trans. of JSME 54-504B 1988 2228
- Jones Charles An update of applicable automotive engine rotary stratifed charge developments SAE Paper No. 820347