This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Advanced Finite Element Data Base of the Hybrid III Test Dummy: Phase I Model Generation and Sled Test Validation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We are concerned with the development of an advanced finite element (FE) model of the Hybrid III dummy. The Hybrid III model is closely corresponding to the mechanical dummy with respect to geometry, segment masses and inertia properties.
The model is created to serve as an occupant data base in an explicit FE program. Therefore, much work is put on generality in positioning, model refinement, contact definitions and choice of material models.
Initial validations by sled test simulations show that the rigid version of the FE dummy has a potential to reproduce results obtained in rigid body programs, and in the future also reproduce test results obtained with the mechanical Hybrid III dummy with reasonable accuracy.
CitationFredriksson, L. and Nilsson, L., "An Advanced Finite Element Data Base of the Hybrid III Test Dummy: Phase I Model Generation and Sled Test Validation," SAE Technical Paper 940558, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940558.
Occupant Containment and Methods of Assessing Occupant Protection in the Crash Environment
Number: SP-1045; Published: 1994-03-01
Number: SP-1045; Published: 1994-03-01
- TNO Road-Vehicles Research Institute 1992 MADYMO applications, version 5.0 Delft
- Hallquist, J.O. Stillman D.W. Lin T.-L. 1992 LS-DYNA3D Users manual, version 920 . LSTC report No 1007 rev 2 Livermore
- TNO Road-Vehicles Research Institute 1992 MADYMO user's manual 3D, version 5.0 Delft
- TNO Road-Vehicles Research Institute 1992 MADYMO databases, version 5.0 Delft
- Schelkle, E. Remensperger R. 1991 Integrated occupant-car crash simulation with the finite element method: The Porsche Hybrid III-dummy and airbag model SAE paper No 910654 SAE 1 8
- Miles. J.C. Stuart R.M.V. Leach J.H. 1991 Practical tools for vehicle impact simulation Part 2: an integrated approach using OASYS DYNA3D Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. Vol 205 Journal of Automobile Engineering 95 100
- Hallquist, J.O 1991 LS-DYNA3D Theoretical manual . LSTC report No 1018 Livermore
- Stillman, D.W. Hallquist J.O. 1993 LS-INGRID: A pre-processor and three-dimensional mesh generator for the programs LS-DYNA3D, LS-NIKE3D and TOPAZ3D, Version 3.3 , LSTC report No 1019 Livermore
- Wynn, D.J. Hallquist J.O. 1992 LS-TAURUS Command documentation manual . LSTC Report 1001 Livermore
- General Motors Corporation 1986 The Hybrid III 50th percentile size antropomorphic test dummy, drawing and specification package
- Kaleps, I. Whitestone J. 1988 Hybrid III geometrical and inertial properties SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit SAE paper No 880638
- Deng, Y.C. 1989 Antropomorphic dummy neck modeling and injury considerations Accident Analysis & Prevention 21 1 85 100
- Code of federal regulations, transportation, Parts 400 to 999 1990 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, DOT
- SAE Engineering 1986 Users manual for the 50th percentile Hybrid III test dummy 1986
- Fredriksson, L. Nilsson L. 1993 The Hybrid III finite element model Proc. EuroDyn'93 Conference Trondheim, Norway
- Lasry, D. Hoffmann R. Yang K.H. Pan H. 1991 Mathematical modeling of the Hybrid III dummy chest with chest foam Proc. 35th Stapp Car Crash Conference San Diego California 65 72 SAE paper No 912892
- Ludewig, T. 1993 FE-modelling of advanced car occupant restraint systems for standard vehicle impact simulations in LS-DYNA3D Linköping University Linköping
- Hallquist, J.O. Stillman D.W. Hughes T.J.R. Tarver C. 1990 Modeling of airbags using MVMA/DYNA3D Livermore Software Technology Corporation Livermore
- Instrumentation for impact test 1988 SAE J211 OCT 88