This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance of HD-DI-Diesel Engine with Addition of Ethanol and Rapeseed Oil
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Some alternative fuels which can be produced in the agriculture may be suitable for engine applications, particularly in the cases of self-supply.
Use of pure alcohol and crude plant oil as fuels poses some problems.
This paper analyzes several potential applications using mixtures of ethanol, crude rape oil or a combination of both. The analysis of injection, combustion and of the total emissions was carried out.
Additives influences on emission and combustion characteristics depend on the engine's operational range.
In general ethanol decreases particulate emissions, increases ignition delay due to the lower cetane number and shortens combustion duration. Crude rape oil increases the emissions of particulates and affects less the combustion speed. Both diminish full load torque due to the lower caloric value.
30 % ethanol - 15 % rape oil mixtures were used to obtain on the investigated HD-DI-engine emissions, similar to conventional diesel fuel. However, this was accompanied by power reductions, up to 12.5 %.
|Technical Paper||Design Modifications for Durability Improvements of Diesel Engines Operating on Plant Oil Fuels|
|Technical Paper||Effects of Different Biodiesels and their Blends with Oxygenated Additives on Emissions from a Diesel Engine|
CitationCzerwinski, J., "Performance of HD-DI-Diesel Engine with Addition of Ethanol and Rapeseed Oil," SAE Technical Paper 940545, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940545.
- Syassen O. 1992
- Lenz H.P. Demmelbauer-Ebner W. Lecture Polish Academy of Sciences Krakow october 1992
- Zablocki M. Polish Academy of Sciences 2 Krakow 1990
- Kapus P. Mikulic L. Zelenka P. 1990
- Nakashima N. Shiino S. Shibata S. Oikawa H. Mitsubishi Motors Corp. Japan 1990
- Bernhardt W. Pischinger F 1990
- Prescher K. Mikulic L. 1993
- Zelenka P. AVL-Proceedings, Engine and Environment 1991
- May H. Hattingen U. Birkner C. Dietrich W. 1993
- Hemmerlein N. Korte V. Richter H. Schröder G. Performance, Exhaust Emissions and Durability of Modern Diesel Engines Running on Rapeseed Oil SAE Technical Paper 910848 Detroit 1991
- Richter H. AVL-Proceedings, Engine and Environment 1991
- Kampmann H.-J. 1993 7 8
- Zilmans R. Rape Oil and Rape Methyl Ester - Fuels for the Future? 4th EAEC-Conference on Vehicle and Traffic Systems Technology Strasbourg 1993 2