This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Human Occupant Kinematic Response to Low Speed Rear-End Impacts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Human volunteer kinematic response to low speed rear-end collisions was investigated. Nominal 16 kph (10 mph) car-to-car impacts were conducted, using human volunteers and anthropomorphic dummies. The human volunteers were both male and female, aged 27 to 58 years, with various degrees of cervical and lumbar spinal degeneration (documented by MRI scan) at the time of the tests. Human volunteer response was monitored and analyzed via accelerometers and high speed film.
The impacts resulted in no injury to any of the human volunteers, and no objective changes in the condition of their cervical or lumbar spines. The results indicate a minimum injury tolerance to low speed rear-end impacts for males and females with various degrees of spinal degeneration. Kinematic responses of the head, mandible, upper torso and knees are discussed in light of existing theories regarding injury causation and tolerance.
- Thomas J. Szabo - Biodynamics Engineering, Inc.
- Judson B. Welcher - Biodynamics Engineering, Inc.
- Robert D. Anderson - Biodynamics Engineering, Inc.
- Michelle M. Rice - Biodynamics Engineering, Inc.
- Jennifer A. Ward - Biodynamics Engineering, Inc.
- Lori R. Paulo - Biodynamics Engineering, Inc.
- Nicholas J. Carpenter - Biodynamics Engineering, Inc.
CitationSzabo, T., Welcher, J., Anderson, R., Rice, M. et al., "Human Occupant Kinematic Response to Low Speed Rear-End Impacts," SAE Technical Paper 940532, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940532.
Occupant Containment and Methods of Assessing Occupant Protection in the Crash Environment
Number: SP-1045; Published: 1994-03-01
Number: SP-1045; Published: 1994-03-01
- Alem NM Holstein GS “Measurement of 3-D Motion,” HSRI October 1977
- Buck CA Dameron FB Dow MJ Skowlund HV “Study of Normal Range of Motion in the Neck Utilizing a Bubble Goniometer,” Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation September 1959
- Clemens HJ Burrow K “Experimental Investigation on Injury Mechanisms of Cervical Spine at Frontal and Rear-Front Vehicle Impacts,” SAE Paper 720960 Proceedings of the 16th Stapp Car Crash Conference November 1972
- Emori RI Horiguchi J “Whiplash in Low Speed Vehicle Collisions,” SAE Paper 900542 1990
- Fan WRS “Internal Head Injury Assessment,” SAE Paper 710870 Proceedings of the 15th Stapp Car Crash Conference November 1971
- Foreman SM Croft AC Whiplash Injuries: The Cervical Acceleration/Deceleration Syndrome Williams & Wilkins Baltimore 1988
- Gadd CW “Use of Weighted-Impulse Criterion for Estimating Injury Hazard,” SAE Paper 660793 Proceedings of the 10th Stapp Car Crash Conference November 1966
- Harter LP Honikman TC Szabo TJ Wrench JD Welcher JB “Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Cervical and Lumbar Spine Before and After Low Speed Crash Testing,” 1993
- Hodgson VR Thomas LM “Effect of Long-Duration Impact on the Head,” SAE Paper 720956 Proceedings of the 16th Stapp Car Crash Conference November 1972
- Howard RP Benedict JV Raddin JH Smith HL “Assessing Neck Extension-Flexion as a Basis for Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 49 1991
- IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) Status Report 28 3 March 1993
- Kendall FP McCreary EK Muscles, Function and Testing Williams & Wilkins Baltimore 1983
- Kottke FJ Mundale MO “Range of Mobility of the Cervical Spine,” Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation September 1959
- Luttgens K Wells KF Kinesiology: Scientific Basis of Human Motion 7th Wm.C.Brown Publishers Iowa 1989
- McConnell WE Howard RP Guzman HM Bomar JB Raddin JH Benedict JV Smith HL Hatsell CP “Analysis of Human Test Subject Kinematic Responses to Low Velocity Rear End Impacts,” SAE Paper 930889 SAE Congress and Exposition March 1993
- Mertz HJ Patrick LM “Investigation of the Kinematics and Kinetics of Whiplash” SAE Paper 670919 1967
- Neel SS Mercer B Young G “The Relationship Between Whiplash Injury and Subsequent Lower Back Complications,” Chiropractic 1 3 October 1988
- Orner PA “A Physician-Engineer's View of Low Velocity Rearend Collisions” SAE Paper 921574 Automobile Safety: Present and Future Technology SP-925 1992
- Sances A Thomas DJ Ewing CL Larson SJ Unterharnscheidt F Mechanisms of Head and Spine Trauma Aloray Publisher New York 1986
- Schmidt RA Motor Control and Learning, A Behavioral Emphasis Human Kinetics Publishers, Inc. Champaign, Illinois 1988
- Schneider K Zernicke RF Clark JG “Modelling of the Jaw-Head-Neck Dynamics During Whiplash,” Journal of Dental Residency 68 1989
- Scott MW McConnell WE Guzman HM Howard RP Bomar JB Smith HL Benedict JV Raddin JH Hatsell CP “Comparison of Human and ATD Head Kinematics During Low-Speed Rearend Impacts,” SAE Paper 930094 Human Surrogates: Design, Development and Side Impact Protection 1993
- Severy DM Mathewson JH Bechtol CO “Controlled Automobile Rear-End Collisions, an Investigation of Related Engineering and Medical Phenomena,” Canadian Services Medical Journal 11 1955
- Severy DM Brink HM Baird JD “Backrest and Head Restraint Design for Rear-End Collision Protection,” SAE Paper 680079 Automotive Engineering Congress January 1968
- Siegmund GP Williamson PB “Speed Change (Delta V) of Amusement Park Bumper Cars” Proceedings of the Canadian Multidisciplinary Road Safety Conference VIII June 1993
- Snyder RG Chaffin DB Foust DR “Bioengineering Study Basic Physical Measurements Related to Susceptibility to Cervical Hyperextension-Hyperflexion Injury,” Highway Safety Research Institute Report 33210 September 1975
- Szabo TJ Welcher J “Dynamics of Low Speed Crash Tests with Energy Absorbing Bumpers” SAE Paper 921573 Automobile Safety: Present and Future Technology SP-925 1992
- Thompson RW “An Investigation Into Low Speed Rear Impacts of Automobiles,” University of British Columbia September 1990
- Thompson T “Pedestrian Walking and Running Velocity Study,” Accident Reconstruction Journal March April 1991
- Tortora GJ Principles of Human Anatomy 5th Harper & Row Publishers New York 1989
- Versace J “A Review of the Severity Index,” SAE Paper 710881 Proceedings of the 15th Stapp Car Crash Conference November 1971
- Ward's 1984 Automotive Yearbook Ward's Communications, Inc. Detroit 1984
- Ward's 1986 Automotive Yearbook Ward's Communications, Inc. Detroit 1986
- Weinberg S Lapointe H “Cervical Extension-Flexion Injury (Whiplash) and Internal Derangement of the Temporomandibular Joint,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 1987
- West DH Gough JP Harper GTK “Low Speed Rear-End Collision Testing Using Human Subjects,” Accident Reconstruction Journal May June 1993