This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental Study of the Aerodynamic Interference Between Road Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An experimental study of the aerodynamic interference between road vehicles during the passing process was performed. 1/10 scale models for a truck and a semi-trailer were employed. Static type testing was followed. Thus, eleven relative longitudinal positions between both vehicles were examined in a wind tunnel. Moreover, to investigate the severity of close proximity of vehicles, four lateral spacings between both vehicles were considered.
The pressure distribution over horizontal planes of the circumference of both vehicles were measured separately at first for each vehicle. Next, these measurements were repeated forty four times for each vehicle to account for both longitudinal and lateral relative positions between both vehicles. The difference in the pressure coefficient Cp over both sides of each vehicle furnishes the side force and yawing moment on each vehicle. The sensitivity of the small vehicles to both influences, leads to a drift from its path. Moreover, the corresponding side force and yawing moment of the trailer about the hitch point of the semi-trailer, leads to its turn around the hitch point. Consequently the safety and stability of the nearby vehicle is critically influenced.
CitationAbdel Azim, A., "An Experimental Study of the Aerodynamic Interference Between Road Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 940422, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940422.
- Telionis, D.P., Fahrner, C.J. and Jones, G.S. “An Experimental Study of Highway Aerodynamic Interference” J. Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 17, pp 267-293, 1984 and DOT Eng. Rep. No. HS-805025, 1980.
- Gotz, H. “Commercial Vehicles” Ch. 8, pp 295-354, in Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles, Hucho, W. (editor), Butterworths, 1987.
- Mackrodt,, P.-A. “Schnellbahnaerodynamic in der DFVLR Statusbericht” Interner Bericht, DFVLR, 251 77A 12, 1977.
- Beauvias, F.N. “Aerodynamic Inputs to a Parked Vehicle Caused by a Passing Bus” SAE/PT-78/16, pp 99-107, 1978.
- Emmelmann, H.-J “Driving Stability in Side Winds” in Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles, Hucho. W. (editor), pp 83, Butterworths, 1987.
- Mason, W.T., Jr. and Beebe, P.S. “The Drag Related Flow Field Characteristics of Trucks and Buses”, in Aerodynamic Drag Mechanisms of Bluff Bodies and Road Vehicles, (Editors: Sorvan, G., Morel, T and Mason, W.T., Jr.) pp 45, Plenum Press, 1978.
- Cowperthwaite, N.A. “Scale Model Wind Tunnel Measurements on the Leyland T45 and DAF 3300 Vehicles Used for the T.R.R.L Spray Dispersion Program” Cranfield, College of Aeronautics Report No. 8622, 1986.
- Beauvais, F.N “Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Car-Trailer Combination”SAE Paper 670100, Detroit 1967.
- Koeing, K. and Roshko, A. “An experimental study of Geometrical Effects on the Geometrical Effects on the Drag and Flow Field of Two Bluff Bodies Separated by a Gap” J. Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 156, pp 167-204, 1985.
- Zdravkorich, M.M. ‘REVIEW of Flow Interference Between Two Circular Cylinders in Various Arrangements” Trans. ASMF, I: J. Fluids Engrg., Vol. 99, pp 618-632, Dec. 1977.
- Ota, T. and Nishiyama. H. “Flow Around Two Elliptic Cylinders in Tandem Arrangements” J. Fluids Engrg., Trans. ASME, Vol. 108, pp 98-103m 1986.
- Abdel Latif, A. “The Interference Effect of a Wall on the Flow Around Two Circular Cylinders” M.Sc. Thesis, Zagazig Univ., Zagazig, Egypt, 1991.
- Gotz, H. “Bus Design Features and Their Aerodynamic Effects” Int. J. Vehicle Design. Impact Aerodynamics on Vehicle design No. SP3,pp229-255. 1983.
- Ahmed, S.R. and Hucho, W.H. “The Calculation of Flow Field Past a Van With the Aid of a Panel Metod” SAE Paper 770390, Presented-at the Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, February 1977.
- Carr, G.W. “Wind Tunnel Blockage Corrections for Road Vehicles” MIRA Rep. No. 1971/4.
- Cooper, K.R., Gerhardt, H.J., Whitbread, R., Garry, K.P., and Carr, G.W. “A Comparison of Aerodynamic Drag Measurements on Model Trucks in Closed-Jet and Open-Jet Wind Tunnels” J. Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, Vol. 22, pp 299-316, 1986.
- Hucho, W.H. “Wind Tunnels for Automobile Aerodynamics” in Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles, Hucho, W.H. (editor), pp 398, Butterworths, 1987.
- Aly, A.M., Abdel Azim, A.F. and Abdallah, A.Y. “An Investigation to the Flow Field Around Road Vehicles” Engineering Research Bulletin, Faculty of Engineering & Technology, University of Helwan, Mataria, Cairo, Egypt, Vol. 6, pp 97-112, October 1991.
- Gerhardt, H.J. and Kramer, C. “Blockierungseffekte in Windkanalen mit bodenplatte und offener mebstrecks” Aerodynamik des Krafthrzuges Lehrgang in Haus der Technik. Essen, 3/4 Nov., 1987.
- Coleman, H.W. and Steele, W.G. Experimentation and Uncertainty Analysis For Engineers, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1989.