This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On the Induced Noise of Test Sections in Different Wind Tunnels and in the Cabin of a Passenger Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An acoustic comparison test of eleven European and two American full-scale automotive wind tunnels was carried out with a passenger car. The scope of investigation comprised in-flow and out-of-flow background noise measurements of the empty test sections as well as interior noise measurements inside the passenger compartment of a standard type Volkswagen Passat Variant CL. For this purpose seven different vehicle configurations were investigated in the various wind tunnels.
The aim of this experimental investigation was to establish physical criteria in order to carry out a suitable acoustic comparison between wind tunnels with different types of test sections and to establish upper limits of wind tunnel background noise levels where acoustic measurements inside a passenger compartment are questionable.
CitationMercker, E. and Pengel, K., "On the Induced Noise of Test Sections in Different Wind Tunnels and in the Cabin of a Passenger Car," SAE Technical Paper 940415, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940415.
- Soderman P.T. Olson L.E. May 1992
- Amiet R. K. Correction of open jet wind tunnel measurements for shear layer refraction AIAA paper 75 532 1975
- Ross R. Spectral broadening effects in open wind tunnels in relation to noise assessment AIAA Journal 19 5 May 1981
- Guedel A. Scattering of an acoustic field by a free jet shear layer. Journal of Sound and Vibration 100 2 1985
- Fuchs H.V. Eckoldt D. Essers U. Potthoff J. New design concepts for silencing aeroacoustic wind tunnels DGLR/AIAA 14th Aeroacoustics Conference May 1992
- Gelhar B. Fuhrken B. IB 128-81/4, DLR-Abteilung Technische Akustik, Braunschweig 1981
- Fuchs H. V. Measurements of pressure fluctuations within subsonic turbulent flow Journal of Sound and Vibration 22 3
- Mercker E. A blockage correction for automotive testing in a wind tunnel with closed test section. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 22 149 167 1986