This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flow Characteristics of SiC Diesel Particulate Filter Materials
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recent studies have shown that SiC provides substantial advantages for use as the material for wall flow diesel particulate filters. In addition to very advantageous thermal properties, it has been shown that SiC based filter material has higher permeability than Cordierite.
This paper presents a comparison of the basic flow characteristics of SiC based and Cordierite based wall flow filter material, expressed in terms of parameters which are basic materials properties that are independent of filter geometry.
In addition, the flow characteristics of the particulate matter collected on the filter during engine operation are presented. The results show that the advantageous flow characteristics observed with the basic filter material are retained for loaded filters, up to very high loadings.
|Technical Paper||Thermal Loading in SiC Particle Filters|
|Technical Paper||Cellular Ceramic Diesel Particulate Filter|
|Journal Article||Investigation of the Impact of Real-World Aging on Diesel Oxidation Catalysts|
CitationSorenson, S., Høj, J., and Stobbe, P., "Flow Characteristics of SiC Diesel Particulate Filter Materials," SAE Technical Paper 940236, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940236.
- Stobbe, P. Høj J. W. Petersen H. G. Sorenson S. C. “SiC as a Substrate for Diesel Particulate Filters” SAE paper 9302495 1993
- Itoh, A. et al. “Study of SiC Application to Diesel Particulate Filter (Part 1): Material Development” SAE paper 930360 1993
- Itoh, A. et al. “Study of SiC Application to Diesel Particulate Filter (Part 2): Engine Test Results” SAE paper 930360 1993
- Goto, Y. Abe T. Sato T. Hauashida M. “Study on regeneration of Diesel Particle Trapper by Electrical Self-Heating Type Filter” SAE Paper 920140 Diesel Particulate Control, Trap and Filtration Systems SAE SP-896 1992
- Gulati, T. S. Sherwood, D. L. “Dynamic fatigue for Cordierite Ceramic Wall-Flow Diesel Filters” SAE paper 910135
- Dullien, F. A. L. Porous Media Fluid Transport and Pore Structure Academic Press, Inc. New York 1979
- Lipkea W. H. Johnson J. H. Vuk C. T. “The Physical and Chemical Character of Diesel Particulate Emissions - Measurements Techniques and Fundamental Considerations” SAE paper 780108 1978
- Konstandopoulos, A. G. Johnson J. H. “Wall-Flow Diesel Particulate Filters--Their Pressure Drop and Collection Efficiency” SAE Paper 890405 Developments in Diesel Particulate Control Systems SAE Special Publication SP-775 1989
- Mogaka, Z. N. Wong V. W. Shahed S. M. “Performance and Regeneration Characteristics of a Cellular Ceramic Diesel Particulate Trap” SAE Transaction , paper 820272
- Howitt, J. S. Montierth, M. R. “Cellular Ceramic Diesel Particulate Filter” SAE paper 810114 1981