This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Review of Diesel Particulate Control Technology and Emissions Effects - 1992 Horning Memorial Award Lecture
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Studies have been conducted at Michigan Technological University (MTU) for over twenty years on methods for characterizing and controlling particulate emissions from heavy-duty diesel engines and the resulting effects on regulated and unregulated emissions. During that time, control technologies have developed in response to more stringent EPA standards for diesel emissions. This paper is a review of: 1) modern emission control technologies, 2) emissions sampling and chemical, physical and biological characterization methods and 3) summary results from recent studies conducted at MTU on heavy-duty diesel engines with a trap and an oxidation catalytic converter (OCC) operated on three different fuels.
Control technology developments discussed are particulate traps, catalysts, advances in engine design, the application of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), and modifications of fuel formulations. Methods for dilution tunnel sampling, particle size analysis, chemical analysis with emphasis on polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) and nitro-PAK and biological characterization using mutagenic activity (Ames) assays are described, along with statistical approaches to experimental design and data analysis.
In studies at MTU, both particulate traps and an OCC have been shown to be effective for the reduction of total particulate matter (TPM), with the OCC being better at reducing an forms of hydrocarbon emissions, including PAH and nitro-PAH, and with the traps being better at removing the solids (SOL). The use of low sulfur fuel (0.01% by mass) has led to additional reductions in TPM; the low sulfur fuel has been shown to reduce the number of small, nuclei-mode particles for one of the engines tested. PAII, nitro-PAH, and mutagenic actively levels generally decreased with use of either the traps or the OCC.
CitationJohnson, J., Bagley, S., Gratz, L., and Leddy, D., "A Review of Diesel Particulate Control Technology and Emissions Effects - 1992 Horning Memorial Award Lecture," SAE Technical Paper 940233, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940233.
- Ames BN. 1972. A bacterial system for detecting mutagens and carcinogens. In: Mutagenic Effects of Environmental Contaminants (Sulton HE, Harris MI, eds.). Academic Press, Orlando, FL.
- Ames BN, McCann J, Yamasaki E. 1975. Method for detecting carcinogens and mutagens with the Salmonella/mammalian-microsome mutagenicity test. Mutat Res 31:347-364.
- Arey J, Zielinska B, Atkinson R, Winer A. 1988. Formation of nitroarenes during ambient high-volume sampling. Environ Sci Technol 22:457-462.
- Arey J. Harger WP∼ Helmig D, Atkinson R. 1992. Bioassay-directed fractionation of mutagenic PAH atmospheric photooxidation products and ambient particulate extracts. Mutat Res 281:67-76.
- Atkinson R, Arey J. 1993. Atmospheric chemistry of gas-phase PAH: Formation of atmospheric mutagens. Environ Health Perspect (In Press).
- Bagley ST, Gratz LD, Leddy DO, Johnson JH. 1987. An investigation into the effect of a ceramic particle trap on the chemical mutagens in diesel exhaust. Research Report No. 5. Health Effects Institute, Cambridge, MA.
- Bagley ST, Baumgard KJ, Gratz LD, Bickel KL, Watts WF, Jr. 1991. Effects of a catalyzed diesel particle filter on the chemical and biological character of emissions from a diesel engine used in underground mines. SAE Paper No. 911840.
- Bagley ST, Gratz LD, Leddy DG, Johnson JH. 1993. Characterization of particle and vapor phase organic fraction emissions from a heavy-duty diesel engine equipped with a particle trap having regeneration controls. Research Report No 56. Health Effects Institute, Cambridge, MA.
- Ball JC, Greene B, Young WC, Richert JFO, Salmeen IT. 1990. S9-Activated Ames assays of diesel-particle extracts detecting indirect-acting mutagens in samples that are direct acting. Environ Sci Technot 24:890-894.
- Barris MA, Wilson ED, Hough WJ. 1992. A filter tube trap system for light truck applications. SAE Paper No. 920139.
- Barris MA. 1992. Development of diesel exhaust catalytic converter mufflers. SAE Paper No. 920369.
- Baumgard KJ, Johnson JH. 1992. The effect of low sulfur fuel and a ceramic particle filter on diesel exhaust particle size distributions. SAE Transactions 101: 691-699, 1992.
- Baumgard KJ, Kiaelson DB. 1985. The influence of a ceramic particulate trap on the size distribution of diesel particles. SAE Transactions 95:56-69.
- Bohstedt CM. 199 1. Statistical analysis for biologically important polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons found in diesel exhaust. M.S. Report, Department of Biological Sciences, Michigan Technological University, Houghton MI.
- Brightwell J, Fouillet X, Cassano-Zoppi AL, Bernstein D, Crawley F, Duchosal F, Gatz R, Perczel S, Pfeifer H. 1989. Tumours of the respiratory tract in rats and hamsters following chronic inhalation of engine exhaust emissions. J Appl Toxicol 9:23-31.
- Butler JW, Maker PD, Korniski TJ, Haack LP, 1981. On-line characterization of vehicle emissions by FIIR and mass spectrometry. SAE Paper No. 810429.
- Butler JW, Maker PD, Korniski TJ, Haack LP, McKelvy FE, Colvin AD. 1985. A system for on-line measurement of multi-component emissions and engine operating parameters. SAE Paper No. 851657.
- Campbell J, Scholl J, Hibbler F, Bagley S., Leddy D, Abata D, Johnson J. 1981. The effect of the physical, chemical, and biological character of particulate emissions from a direct injection diesel. SAE Paper No. 810996.
- Carpenter K, Johnson JH. 1979. Analysis of the physical characteristics of diesel particulate matter using transmission electron microscope techniques. SAE Paper No. 790815.
- Chuang J, Hannan S, Wilson N. 1987. Field comparison of polyurethane foarn and XAD-2 resin for air sampling for polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons. Environ Sci Technol 21:798-804.
- Claxton LD. 1983. Characterization of automotive emissions by bacterial mutagenesis bioassay: A review. Environ Mutagen 5:609-631.
- Clete JC, Johnson JH. 1982. A computer heat trarisfer and hydrocarbon adsorption model for predicting diesel particulate emissions in dilution tunnels. SAE Paper No. 821218.
- Dolan DF. 1977. Experimental and theoretical investigation of diesel exhaust particulate matter. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Minnesota.
- Dolan DF, Kittelson DB. 1978. Diesel exhaust aerosol particle size distributions - comparisons of theory and experiment. SAE Paper No 780110.
- Dorie LD, Bagley ST, Leddy DG, Johnson JH. 1987. Identification of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in mutagenic subfractions of diesel exhaust modified by a ceramic particulate trV. Environ Sci Technol 21:757-765.
- Draper WM. 1986. Quantitation of nitro- and dinitropolycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in diesel exhaust particulate matter. Chemosphere 15:437-447.
- Draper WM, Hartman H, Kittelson DB, Watts WF, Baumgard KJ. 1987. Impact of a ceramic trap and manganese fuel additive on the biological activity and chemical compositions of exhaust particles from diesel engines used in underground mines. SAE Paper No. 871621.
- El-Bayoumy K, Hecht SS, Hoffman D. 1982. Comparative tumor initiating activity on mouse skin of 6-nitrobenzo[a]pyrene, 6-nitrochrysene, 3-nitroperylene, and their parent hydrocarbons. Cancer Lett 16:333-337.
- EI-Bayoumy K, Rivenson A, Johnson B, DiBello J, Little P, Hecht SS. 1988. Comparative tumorigenicity of 1-nitropyrene, 1-nitrosopyrene, and I-aminopyrene administered by gavage to Sprague-Dawley rats. Cancer Res 48:42564260.
- EPA. 1990. Code of Federal Regulations (CFR 40). Protection of the environment. Parts 100 to 149. Revised July 1, 1990.
- Frey JW, Corn M. 1967. Physical and chemical characteristics of particulates in a diesel exhaust. American Industrial Hygiene J. Assoc. 28:468.
- Frisch LE, Johnson JH, Leddy DG. 1979. Effect of fuels and dilution ratio on diesel particulate emissions. SAE Paper No. 790417.
- Fung K, Grosjean D. 1981. Determination of nanogram amounts of carbonyls as 2.4-dinitrophenylhydrazones by high-performance liquid chromatography. Anal Chem. 53:168-171.
- Funkenbusch EF, Leddy DO, Johnson JH. 1979. The characterization of the soluble organic fraction of diesel particulate matter. SAE Paper No. 790418.
- Gaddo P, Settis M, Giacomelli L. 1994. Artifact formation during diesel particulate collection. In: Cooke M, Dennis AJ, Eds. Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons, 8th International Symposium: Mechanisms, Methods, and Metabolism. Columbus OH, Battelle pp 437-449.
- Garmer CP, Dent JC. 1988. A thermal regeneration model for monolithic and fibrous diesel particulate traps. SAE Paper No. 880007.
- Gibbs LM, 1993. The impact of state air quality and product regulations on current and future fuel properties. ASTM STP 1160, The Impact of U.S. Environmental Regulations on Fuel Quality.
- Gratz LD, Bagley ST, King KS, Baumgard KI, Leddy DG, Johnson JH. 1991. The effect of a ceramic particulate trap on the particulate and vapor phase emissions of a heavy-duty diesel engine. SAE Transactions 100: 878-899.
- Gu Z-W. Zhong B-Z, Nath B, Whong W-Z, Wallace WE, Ong T-M. 1992. ftficronucleus induction and phagocytosis in mammalian cells treated with diesel emission particles. Mutat Res 279:55-60.
- Harayarna. N, Niimura K, Watanabe Y. 1992. Effects of sulfate adsorption on performance of diesel oxidation catalysts. SAE Paper No. 920852.
- Hartung A, Kraft J, Schulze J, Kieb H, Lies KH. 1984. The identification of nitrated polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in diesel particulate extracts and their potential formation as artifacts during particulate collection. Chrornatographia 19:269-273.
- Hawthorne SB, Miller DJ. 1986. Extraction and recovery of organic pollutants from environmental solids and tenax-GC using supercritical C02. I Chromatogr Sci. 24:258.
- Health Effects Institute. 1988. In: Air pollution, the Automobile, and Public Health. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 1988.
- Health Effects Institute. 1993. Research priorities for mobile air toxics. HEI Communications Number 2. Health Effects Institute, Cambridge, MA.
- Heinrich U, Muhle H, Takenaka S, Ernst H, Fuhst R, Mohr U, Pott F, Stober W. 1986. Chronic effects on the respiratory tract of hamsters, mice and rats after long-term inhalation of high concentrations of filtered and unfiltered diesel engine emissions. J AppI Toxicol 6: 383-395.
- Heinrich U. 1993. Carcinogenic effects of solid particles. In: Toxic and Carcinogenic Effects of Solid Particles in the Respiratory Tract: Proceedings of the 4th International Inhalation Symposium, Hanover, Germany (Mohr U, DungworLh DL, Mauderly JL, Obsedorster G, eds.) ILSI Press, Washington, DC. In Press.
- Hoekman SK, Ingham MC. 1987 Measurement of PAH and nitro-PAH from a heavy-duty diesel engine. Presented at the APCA 80th Annual Meeting. June 21-26,1987, New York, NY.
- Herzog PL, Burgler L. Winklhofer E, ZeIenka P, Cartellieri W. 1992. NO, reduction strategies for DI diesel engines. SAE Paper No. 920470.
- Huisingh J, Bradow R, Jungers R, Claxton L, Zweidinger R, Tejada S, Blurngamer J, Buffield R, Waters M, Simon V, Harc C, Rodriguez C, Snow L. 1978. Application of bioassay to the characterization of diesel particle emissions, Parts I and II. Application of short-term bioassays in the fractionation analysis of complex environmental mixtures. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA 600/9-78-027): 381-418.
- Hunter G, Scholl J, Hibbler F. Bagley S, Leddy D, Abata D, Johnson J. 1981a. The cffect of an oxidation catalyst on the physical, chemical, and biological character of diesel particulate emissions. SAE Paper No 810263.
- Hunter G, Scholl l, Hibbler F, Bagley S, Leddy D, Abata D, Johnson J. 1981b. The effects of fuels on diesel oxidation catalyst performance and biological character of diesel particulate emissions. SAE Transactions 90:3679-3700.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer. 1989. Diesel and Gasoline Engine Exhausts and Some Nitroarenes. IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, Vol. 46. Lyon, France.
- Ishizaka Y, Ochiai M, Ohgaki H, Ishikawa F, Sato S, Kura Y, Napo M, Sagimura T. 1987. Active H-ras and N-ras in rat fibro sarcarcomas induced by 1,6-dinitropyrene. Cancer Lett 34:317-324.
- Iwai K, Udagawa T, Yamaguchi M, Yamada H. 1986. Long term inhalation studies of diesel exhaust on F344 SPF rats. In: Carcinogenic and Mutagenic Effects of Diesel Engine Exhaust (Ishnishi N, Koizumi A, McClellan RO, Stober W. eds.). Elsevier Science Publishing Co., New York, NY.
- Jinno K, Kuwajima M. 1986. Computer interactive identification system for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in reversed-phase microcolumn liquid chromatography. Chromatographia 21:622-626.
- Junge CE, 1977. In: Fate of pollutants in the air and water environments; Suffet, I.H., Ed, Willy: New York.
- Kado NY, Langley D, Eisenstadt E. 1983. A simple modification of the Salmonella liquid-incubation assay - Increased sensitivity for detecting mutagens in human urine. Mutat Res 121:125-132.
- Kamens R, Bell D, Dietrich A, Perry J, Goodman R. 1985. Mutagenic transformations of dilute wood smoke systems in the presence of ozone and nitrogen dioxide. Analysis of selected high-pressure liquid chromatography fractions from wood smoke particle extracts. Environ Sci Technol 19:63-69.
- Kantola TC, Bagley ST, Gratz LD, Leddy DG, Johnson JH. 1992. The influence of a low sulfur fuel and a ceramic particle trap on the physical, chemical, and biological character of heavy-duty diesel emissions. SAE Paper No. 920565.
- Kawatani T, Mori K, Fukano l, Sugawara K, Koyama T. 1993. Technology for meeting the 1994 USA exhaust emission regulations on heavy-duty diesel engine. SAE Paper No. 932654.
- Keane MJ, Xing S-G, Harrison JC, Ong T, Wallace WE. 1991. Genotoxicity of diesel-exhaust particles dispersed in simulated pulmonary surfactant. Mutat Res 260,.233-238.
- Khatri NJ, Johnson JH, Leddy DG. 1978. The characterization of the hydrocarbon and sulfate fractions of diesel particulate matter. SAE Transactions 87 (Section 1):469-492.
- Khatri NJ, Johnson JH. 1978. Physical size distribution characterization of diesel particulate matter and the study of the coagulation process. SAE Paper No. 780788.
- Kittelson DB, Johnson JH. 1991. Variability in particle emission measurements in the heavy duty transient teSt. SAE Paper No. 910738.
- Konstandopoulos AG, Gratz LD, Johnson JH, Bagley ST, Leddy DG. 1988. Ceramic particulate traps for diesel emissions control -effects of a manganese-copper fuel additive. SAE Paper No. 880009.
- Konstandopoulos AG, Johnson JH. 1989. Wall-flow diesel particulate filters - their pressure drop and collection efficiency. SAE Paper No. 890405.
- Krewski D, Leroux BG, Creason J, Claxton L. 1992. Sources of variation in the mutagenic potency of complex chemical mixtures based on the Salmonella/microsome assay. Mutat Res 276: 33-59.
- Kuwata K, Uebori M, Yamasaki H, Kuge Y. 1983. Determination of aliphatic aldehydes in air by liquid chromatography. Anal Chem 55:2013-2016.
- LaCourse DL, Jensen TE. 1986. Determination of I-nitropyrene in extracts of vehicle particulate emissions. Anal Chem 58:1894-1895.
- Laymac TD, Johnson JH, Bagley ST. 199 1. The measurement and sampling of controlled regeneration emissions from a diesel wall-flow particulate trap. SAE Paper No. 910606.
- Lewtas J. 1993. Complex mixtures of air pollutants: Characterizing die cancer risk of polycyclic organic matter. Environ Health Perspect 100: 211-218.
- Liberti A, Ciccioli P, Cecinato A, Brancalconi E, Di Palo C. 1984. Determination of nitrated-polyaromatic hydrocarbons (nitro-PAHs) in envirorunental samples by high resolution chromatographic techniques. J High Resolut Chrornatogr Chromatogr Commun. 7:389-397.
- Ligocki MP, Pankow JF. 1985. Assessment of adsorption/solvent extraction with polyurethane foam and adsorption/thermal desorption with tenax-GC for the collection and analysis of ambient organic vapors. Anal Chem 57:1138-1144.
- Ligocki MP, Pankow JF, 1989. Measurements of the gas/particle distributions of atmospheric organic compounds. Environ Sci Technol. 23:75-83.
- Liotta FJ, Montalvo DM. 1993. The effect of oxygenated fuels on emissions from a modem heavy-duty diesel engine. SAE Paper No. 932734.
- Lipari F, Swarin SJ. 1985. 2,4-Dinitrophenylhydrazirie-coated florisil sampling cartridges for the determination of formaldehyde in air. Environ Sci Technol 19:70-74.
- Lipkea WH, Johnson JH, Vuk CT. 1978. The physical and chemical character of diesel particulate emissions - Measurement techniques and fundamental considerations. SAE Paper No. 780108.
- Lofiroth G (ed.). 1990. Chemical and biological characterization of urban particulate matter. Swedish Environmental Protection Agency Report 3841.
- MacCrehan WA, May WE, Yung SD, Benner BA Jr. 1988. Determination of nitro polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons in air and diesel particulate matter by liquid chromatography with electrochemical and fluorescence detection. Anal Chem 60: 194-199.
- MacDonald J. 1983. The effect of operating conditions on the effluent of a wall-flow monolith particulate trap. SAE Paper No. 831711.
- Maron DN, Ames BN. 1983. Revised methods for the Salmonella mutagenicity test. Mutat Res 113:173-215.
- Mauderly JL, Griffith EC, Henderson RF, Jones RK, McClellan RO. 1991. Evidence from animal studies for the carcinogenicity of inhaled diesel exhaust. pp. 1-13. In: Nitro-Arenes (ed. Howard PC et al.). Plenum Press, New York.
- Mauderly JL. 1992. Diesel Exhaust. In: Environmental Toxicants: Human Exposures and Their Health Effects, Chapter 5 (Lippmann M, Ed.): 119-162. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, NY.
- McClure BT, Bagley ST, Gratz LD. 1992. The influence of an oxidation catalytic converter and fuel composition on the chemical and biological characteristics of diesel exhaust emissions. SAE Paper No. 920854.
- McCoy CC, Rosenkranz HS, Mermelstein R. 1981. Evidence for the existence of a family of bacterial nitroreductases capable of activating nitrated polycyclics to mutagens. Environ Mutagen 3:421427.
- Miller PR, Scholl J, Bagley S, Leddy D, Johnson JH. 1983. The effects of a porous ceramic particulate trap on the physical, chemical, and biological character of diesel particulate emissions. SAE Transactions 92:287-315.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. 1988. Carcinogenic Effects of the Exposure to Diesel Exhaust. Current Intelligence Bulletin 50. Department of Human Health and Services. NIOSH Publication No. 88-116,1988.
- Newkirk MS, Smith LR, Merritt PM. 1993. Heavy-duty diesel hydrocarbon speciation: key issues and technological challenges. SAE Paper No. 932853.
- Newton DL, Erickson MD, Tomer KB, Pellizzari ED, Gentry P. 1982. Identification of nitroaromatics in diesel exhaust particulate using gas chromatography/negative ion chemical ionization mass spectrometry and other techniques. Environ Sci Technol 16:206-213.
- Nikula KJ, Snipes ME, Barr EF, Griffith WC, Henderson RF, Mauderly JL. 1993. Influence of parficle-associated organic compounds on the carcinogenicity of diesel exhaust. In: Toxic and Carcinogenic Effects of Solid Particles in the Respiratory Tract: Proceedings of the 4th International Inhalation Symposium. Hanover, Germany (Mohr U, Dungworth DL, Mauderly JL, Obsedorster G, eds.) ILSI Press, Washington, DC. In Press.
- Niles R, Tan YL, 1989. Determination of polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons and mononitrated derivatives in air and diesel particulates. Analytica Chimica Acta 221:53-56.
- Nondek L, Milofsky R, Birks JW. 1991. Determination of carbonyl compounds in air by HPLC using on-line analyzed microcartridges, fluorescence and chemiluminescence detection. Chromatographia 32: 33-39.
- Nondek L, RodIcr DR, Birks JW. 1992. Measurement of sub-ppbv concentrations of aldehydes in a forest atmosphere using a new HPLC technique. Environ Sci Technol 26:1174-1178.
- Ochme M, Mano S, Stray H, 1982. Determination of nitrated polycyclic hydrocarbons in aerosols using capillary gas chromatography combined with different electron capture detection methods. J High Resolut Chromatogr Chromatogr Commun 5:417-423.
- Opris CN, Gratz LD, Bagley ST, Baumgard KJ, Leddy DG, Johnson JH. 1993. The effects of fuel sulfur concentration on regulated and unregulated heavy-duty diesel emissions. SAE Paper No. 930733.
- Otofuji T, Horikawa K, Maeda T, Sano N, Izumi K, Otsuka H. 1987. Tumorigenicity test of 1,3- and 1,8-dinitropyrene in BALB/c mice. J Nat Cancer Inst 79:185-188.
- Paputa-Peck MC, Marano RS, Schuetzle D, Riley TL, Hampton CV, Prater TJ, Skewes LM, Jensen TE. 1983. Determination of nitrated polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons in particulate extracts by capillary column gas chromatography with nitrogen selective detection. Anal Chem 55:1946-1954.
- Paschke T, Hawthorne SB, Miller DJ, Wenclawiak B. 1992. Supercritical fluid extraction of nitrated polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons from diesel exhaust pardculate matter. J Chromatog 609: 333-340.
- Pataky GM, Baumgard KJ, Gratz LD, Bagley ST, Leddy DG, Johnson JH. 1994. Effects of an oxidation catalytic converter on regulated and unregulated diesel emissions. SAE Paper No. 940243.
- Pattas KN, Kyrialds NA, Samaras ZC. 1985. A new approach Lo the oxidizing behavior of a porous ceramic diesel particulate trap. SAE Paper No. 850012.
- Pitts JN, Jr., Paur H-R, Zielinska B, Arey J, Winer AM, Raindahl T, Mejia V.1986. Factors influencing the reactivity of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons adsorbed on filters and ambient POM with ozone. Chemosphere 15:675-685.
- Ramdahl T, Becher G, Bjorseth A. 1982. Nitrated polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in urban air particles. Environ Sci Technot 16:861-865.
- Ramdahl T, Urdal K. 1982. Determination of nitrated polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by fused silica capillary gas chromatography/negative ion chemical ionization mass spectrometry. Anal Chem 54:2256-2260.
- Ranting U. 1983. Data from short-term tests on motor vehicle exhausts. Environ Health Perspect 47:161-169.
- Rantanen L, Mikkonen S., Nylund L., Kociba, Lappi M., Nylund N.-O. 1993. Effects of fuel on the regulated, unregu-lated and mutagenic emissions of DI diesel engines. SAE Paper No. 932686.
- Rasmussen RE, Devillex G, Smith LR. 1989. Influence of particulate trap oxidizers on emission of mutagenic compounds by diesel automobiles. J Appl Toxicol 9:159-168.
- Rasmussen RE. 1990. Effect of fuel properties on mutagenic activity in extracts of heavy-duty diesel exhaust particulate. J Air Waste Manage Assoc 40:1391-1396.
- Richert JFL, Jensen TF, Young WC, Ball JC. 1991. Recovery of Ames assay mutagenicity of a polar fraction of a diesel engine particulate extract from capillary gas chromatography. J Air Waste Manage Assoc 41: 1217-1219.
- Risby T, Lestz T. 1983. Is the direct mutagenic activity of diesel particulate matter a sampling artifact? Environ Sci Tectmol 17:621-624.
- Rodler DR, Nondek L, Birks JW. 1993. Evaluation of ozone and water vapor interferences in the derivation of atmospheric aldehydes with dansylhydrazine. Environ Sci Technol 27:2814-2820.
- Ross D, Hum G. Schmitt R. 1987. Diesel exhaust and pyrene nitration. Environ Sci Technol 21:1130-113 1.
- SAE 1979. Measurement and Control of Diesel Particulate Emissions. SAE Progress in Technology (PT-17), 1979.
- SAE 1982. Measurement and Control of Diesel Particulate Emissions. Part 2 SAE Progress in Technology (PT-25), 1982.
- SAE 1992. Diesel Particulate Emissions: Measurement Techniques, Fuel Effects and Control Technology. SAE Progress in Technology (PT42), 1992.
- SAE 1993. Diesel Fuels for the Nineties: Composition and Additives to Meet Emissions and Performance Needs. SAE Special Publication SP-994, 1993.
- Salmeen IT, Gorse RA, Jr, Pierson WR. 1985. Ames assay chromatograms of extracts of diesel exhaust particles from heavy-duty trucks on the road and from passenger cars on a dynamometer. Environ Sci Technol 19: 270-273.
- Schenker ME, Kado NY, Hammond SK, Samuels SJ, Woskie SR, Smith TJ. 1992. Urinary mutagenic activity in workers exposed to diesel exhaust. Environ Res 57:133-148.
- Scholl JP Bagley ST, Leddy DG, Johnson JH. 1983. Study of aftertreatment and fuel injection variables for particulate control in heavy-duty diesel engines. Final Project Report, EPA Contract No. 460/3-83-002. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Mobile Sources, Ann Arbor, MI.
- SchueLzle D. 1983. Sampling of vehicle emissions for chemical analysis and biological testing. Environ Health Perspec 47:65-80.
- Schuetzle D, Perez JM. 1983. Factors influencing the emissions of nitrated-polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (nitro-PAH) from diesel engines. J Air Pollut Cont Assoc 33:751-755.
- Schuetzle D, Jensen TE, Ball JC. 1985. Polar polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbon derivatives in extracts of particulates: Biological characterization and techniques for chemical analysis. Environ Int 11: 169-18 1.
- Schuetzle D, Frazier JA. 1986. Factors influencing the emission of vapor and particulate phase components from diesel engines. In: Carcinogenic and Mutagenic Effects of Diesel Engine Exhaust. Ishinishi N, Koizumi A, McClellan RO, Stober W, eds., Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Schuetzle D, Lewtas J. 1986. Bioassay-directed chemical analysis in environmental research. Anal Chem 58: 106OA- 1075A.
- Slodowske. 1993. An engine manufacturer's perspective on diesel fuels and the environment. SAE Panel Presentation at SAE Fuels and Lubricants Meeting, October 20,1993.
- Sorenson SC, Hoj JW, Stobbe P, Pedersen HG. 1993. SiC as a substrate for diesel particulate filters. SAE Paper No. 932494.
- Stoltz SL. 1988. Modification and application of the microsuspension version of the Ames Salnwnella mutagenicity assay. M.S. Thesis, Department of Biological Sciences, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, ML
- Sweetman JA, Karasek FW. 1982. Decomposition of nitropyrene during gas chromatographic-mass spectrometric analysis of air particulate and fly-ash samples. J Chromatogr. 247:245-255.
- Tejada SB, Zweidinger RB, Sigsby JE Jr. 1986. Fluorescence detection and identification of nitro derivatives of polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons by on-column catalytic reduction to aromatic amines. Anal Chem 58:1827-1834.
- Tennant RW, Zeiger E. 1993. Genetic toxicology: Current status of methods of carcinogen identification. Environ Health Perspec 100: 307-315.
- Tomkins BA, Brazell RS, Roth ME, Ostrurn VH. 1994. Isolation of mononitrated polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in particulate matter by liquid chromatography and determination by gas chromatography with the thermal energy analyzer. Anal Chem 56:781-786.
- Tuteja AD, Hoffman MB, LA)pez-Crevfllen JM, Singh S, Stomber RR, Wallace GC. 1992. Selection and development of a particulate trap system for a light duty diesel engine. SAE Paper No. 920142.
- Tree D, Bower G, Donahue R, Sharnis D, Foster D. 1993. Emission tests of diesel fuel with NOx reduction additives. SAE Paper No. 932736.
- Van Vaeck L, Van Cauwenberghe K, Janssens J. 1983. The gas-particle distribution of organic aerosol constituents: Measurement of the volatilization artifact in hi-vol cascade impactor sampling. Atmos Environ 18:417-430.
- Vuk CT, Jones MA, Johnson JH. 1976. The measurement and analysis of the physical character of diesel particulate emissions. SAE Paper No. 76013 1.
- Wade WR, White JE, Florek JJ, Cikanek HA. 1983. Thermal and catalytic regeneration of diesel particulate traps. SAE Paper No.830083.
- Waldermaier DA, Gratz LD, Bagley ST, Johnson JH, Leddy DG. 1990. The influence of sampling conditions on the repeatability of diesel particulate and vapor phase hydrocarbon and PAH measurements. SAE Paper No. 900642.
- Wall JC, Hoekman SK. 1984. Fuel composition effects on heavy-duty diesel particulate emissions. SAE Paper No 841364.
- Wallace WE, Keane MJ, Hill CA, Xu J, Ong T-M. 1987. Mutagenicity of diesel exhaust particles and oil shale particles dispersed in lecithin surfactant. J Toxicol Environ Health 21:163-171.
- Wallace W, Keane M, Xing S, Harrison J, Gautam M, Ong T. 1990. Mutagenicity of diesel exhaust soot dispersed in phospholipid surfactants. In: Environmental Hygiene II (Seemayger N, Hadnagy W, eds.), Springer-Veriag, Heidleberg, pp. 7-10.
- Walsh NT. 1993. Global trends in diesel particulate control, 1993 update. SAE Paper No. 930126.
- Westerholm R., Alsberg T, Strandell M, Frommelin A, Grigoriadis V, Hantzaridou A, Maitra G, Winquist L, Rannug U, Egeback K-E, Bertilsson T. 1986. Chemical analysis and biological testing of emissions from a heavy duty diesel truck with and without two different particulate traps. SAE Paper No. 860014.
- Westerholm RN, Almen J, Li H., Rannug JU, Egeback KE, Gragg K. 1991. Chemical and biological characterization of particulate-, sernivolatile, and gas-phase-associated compounds in Muted heavy-duty diesel exhausts: A comparison of three different sernivolatile-phase samplers. Environ Sci Technol 25: 332-338.
- White CK Robbat A Jr, Hoes RM. 1984. Evaluation of a thermiortic ionization detector for nitrated polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Anal Chem 56:232-236.
- Wiedemann B, Neumann KH. 1985. Vehicular experience with additives for regeneration of ceramic diesel filters. SAE Paper No. 850017.
- Wiczynski PD, Johnson JH. 1986. 'Me effect of a ceramic trap on diesel particulate fractions. SAE Paper No. 860620.
- Wise SA, Hilpert LR, Byrd GD, NUy WE. 1990. Comparison of liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection and gas chromatography/mass spectrometry for the determination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in environmental samples. Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds 1:81-98.
- Wislocki PG, Bagan ES, Lu AYH, Dooley KL, Fu PP, Han-Hsu H, Beland FA, Kadlubar FF. 1986. Turnorigenicity of nitrated derivatives of pyrene, benz[a]anthracene, chrysene, and benzo[a]pyrene in the newborn mouse assay. Carcinogenesis 7:1317-1322.
- Wong JM, Kado NY∼ Kuznicky PA, Wihg H-S, Woodrow JE, Hsieh DPH, Seiber JW. 1991. Determination of volatile and sernivolatile mutagens in air using solid adsorbents and supercritical fluid extraction. Anal Chem 63: 1644-1650.
- Wright BW, Udseth HR, Smith RD, Hazlett RN. 1984. Supercritical fluid chromatography and supercrifical fluid chromatography - mass spectrometry of marine diesel fuel. J Chromatog 314: 253-262.
- Yamasaki H, Kuwata K, Myamoto H. 1982. Effects of ambient temperature on aspects of airborne polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Environ Sci Technol 16:189-194.
- Zar JR. 1985. Biostatistical Analysis, 2nd ed. Prentice Hall, Inc, Englewood Cliffs, NY.
- Zelenka P, Kriegler W, Herzog PL, Cartelfieri WP. 1990. Ways toward the clean heavy-duty diesel. SAE Paper No. 900602.
- Zinbo M, Schuetzle D, Hsieh DPH, Kado NY, Daisey JM, Gundel LA. 1992. An improved fractionation procedure for the bioassay-directed chemical analysis of ambient air particulate extracts. Analy Sci 8:461-468.