This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Feasibility Study of Pilot Injection in TICS (Timing and Injection Rate Control System)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the development status of TICS pilot injection. Stable pilot injection with an appropriate pilot injection quantity and pilot-main injection interval can be obtained by the newly introduced pilot injection element in TICS. A single cylinder NA engine has been tested to clarify the effect of pilot injection. The results show the advantages of pilot injection for NOx, HC, BSFC and noise reduction. The pilot quantity is required to be as small as possible in order to minimize the penalty in smoke emission. Finally, the latest results of the feasibility study of TICS pilot injection are discussed.
CitationIshiwata, H., Ohishi, T., Ryuzaki, K., Unoki, K. et al., "A Feasibility Study of Pilot Injection in TICS (Timing and Injection Rate Control System)," SAE Technical Paper 940195, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940195.
- Davies A.J. “Injection Characteristics and Diesel Knock” Proc. I. Mech. E (A.D.) 1B-1(1951-52)
- Ikegami M. Miwa K. “Analysis of Diesel Combustion Based on Varying Delay Mechanism (2nd Report, Effect of Pilot Injection)” Transaction of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 40 334
- Hattori H. et al. “Study on Performance Improvement of DI Diesel Engine with Pilot Injection Method” SAE Paper 912462
- Mayer K.P. “Fuel Economy, Emissions and Noise of Multi-Spray Light Duty DI Diesels-Current Status and Development Trends” SAE Paper 841288
- Yoshizu F. et al. “A Study of New Injection and Spray Concepts of Small DI Diesel Engine” I.Mech.E. Proceedings of the “DIESEL FUEL INJECTION SYSTEMS” April 1992
- Miyaki M. et al. “Development of New Electronically Controlled Fuel Injection System ECD-U2 for Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 910252
- Needham J. R. et al. “Competitive Fuel Economy and Low Emission Achieved Through Flexible Injection Control” SAE Paper 931020
- Shundoh S. et al. “NOx Reduction from Diesel Combustion Using Pilot Injection with High Pressure Fuel Injection” SAE Paper 920461
- Shakal J. Martin J. K. “Effects of Auxiliary Injection on Diesel Engine combustion” SAE Paper 900398
- Herdin G. “Considerations on Low Load Smoke Emissions by Using Pilot and Modulated Injection” SAE Paper 905240
- Frankl G. et al. “Emissions Developments of the EUI Systems Towards Improved Performance and Emissions Standards” SAE Paper 925024
- Needham J. R. et al. “Fuel Efficient and Green -Future Heavy Duty Diesel” I. Mech. E. Seminar on World Wide Engine Emission Standards and How to Meet Them (K930466)