This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Real-Time Wheel Brake and Tire Lateral Force Models Refined for Low Speeds
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses the development of a model of wheel brake force and tire lateral force for real-time, human-in-the-loop simulation running on a relatively slow computer. The model is refined to avoid numerical instabilities in the vehicle's equations of motion, especially at zero and very low forward speeds. The result is a computationally inexpensive algorithm to approximate the model's behavior including its transient response.
The performance of this model is compared to published data for actual tires, and preliminary results from its implementation in a piloted flight simulator are discussed.
|Technical Paper||A Robust Lumped-Parameter Tire Model Developed for Real-Time Simulation|
|Technical Paper||Simulation of Sideways Overturning of Wheel Tractors on Side Slopes|
CitationWhatmough, K., "Real-Time Wheel Brake and Tire Lateral Force Models Refined for Low Speeds," SAE Technical Paper 940178, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940178.
- Sharp, R. S. El-Nashar, M. A. “A Generally Applicable Digital Computer Based Mathematical Model for the Generation of Shear Forces by Pneumatic Tyres,” Vehicle System. Dynamics 15 4 187 209 1986
- Smiley, R. F. Horne, W. B. “Mechanical Properties of Pneumatic Tires with Special Reference to Modern Aircraft Tires,” 1960
- Graham, D. P. W. “Implementation of Aircraft Tire, Braking, Friction and Runway Models,” University of Toronto Canada August 1987
- Home, W. B. Leland, T. J. W. “Influence of Tire Tread Pattern and Runway Surface Condition on Braking Friction and Rolling Resistance of a Modern Aircraft Tire,” September 1962
- Home, W. B. Stephenson, B. H. Smiley, R. F. “Low-Speed Yawed-Rolling and Some Other Elastic Characteristics of Two 56-Inch-Diameter, 24-Ply-Rating Aircraft Tires,” August 1954
- Gillespie, T. D. “Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1992
- “Vehicle Dynamics Terminology,” SAE J1670c Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA.