This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Proposed International Standard for Certification of Aircraft to High Intensity Radiated Fields (HIRF)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Avionic systems performing critical functions in modern aircraft are potentially susceptible to the hazards of electromagnetic radiation from ground and airborne transmitters. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requested that the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) coordinate the development of procedures and guidance material which can be used during the aircraft certification process to ensure adequate protection against High Intensity Radiated Fields (HIRF). This paper addresses the technical challenge of drafting a certification procedure and guidance standard, and the management process used by the SAE subcommittee AE4R to converge a diverse range of opinions by its international membership in the shortest possible time.
CitationSargent, N., "Development of a Proposed International Standard for Certification of Aircraft to High Intensity Radiated Fields (HIRF)," SAE Technical Paper 940062, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940062.
- Rogers, R.J. “Electromagnetic Environment for Civil Aircraft,” SAE Paper 901914 1990
- Perala, R.A. “The Coupling of High Intensity Radio Frequency (HIRF) Environments into Aircraft,” SAE Paper 901915 1990
- Kendall, C.M. “High Energy RF Design and Protection,” SAE Paper 901916 1990
- Miller, D.C. “Aircraft and Subsystem Level HIRF Test Methods,” SAE Paper 901917 1990
- “Users Manual for AC-xx-xx,” SAE-AE4R Aircraft Radiated Environment Subcommittee Report
- “Certification of Aircraft Electrical/Electronic Systems for Operation in the High Intensity Radiated Fields (HIRF) Environment,” SAE AE4R Final Committee Report Sept. 15 1992
- Treacy, J.J. “Aircraft Certification: HIRF Protection Requirements for Civil Aircraft Systems,” SAE Paper 901918 1990