This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Delamination Suppression in Composites via Thermoplastic Interleaves
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents the development of delamination resistant composite laminates using interleaving technology. A simple technique which incorporates discrete layers of thin thermoplastic films between wet glass/epoxy prepreg, followed by co-curing, is described. Two types of films having widely different properties were used in order to investigate the effects of film characteristics on composite interlaminar shear strength. Microscopic observations of the specimens after four-point shear testing showed that the failure mode was strongly affected by both the presence and the characteristics of the interleaves.
CitationLi, L., Lee-Sullivan, P., and Liew, K., "Delamination Suppression in Composites via Thermoplastic Interleaves," SAE Technical Paper 940058, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940058.
- Carlsson L. A Aksoy A. Analysis of interleaved end-notched flexure specimen for measuring mode II fracture toughness Intern. J. of Fracture 52 1991 67 77
- Wilkins D.J. “A Preliminary Damage Tolerance Methodology for Composite Structures,” Workshop on failure Analysis and Mechanisme of Failure of Fibrous Composites NASA Langley Research Center 1982
- Wilkins D.J. et.al. “Charcterizing Delamination Growth in Graphite-Epoxy,” damage in Composite Materials ASTM STP 775 Reifsnider K.L. American Society for Testing and Materials 1982 168 183
- Browning C.E. Schwartz H.S. “Delamination Resistant Composite Concepts,” Composite Materials: Testing and Design ASTM STP 893 Whitney J. M. American Society for Testing and Materials Philadephia 1986 256 265
- Sela N. Ishal O. “Interlaminar Fracture Toughness and Toughening of Laminated Composite Materials: a Review” Composites 20 1989
- Hunston D.L. et al. “Matrix resin Effects in Composite Delamination: Mode I Fracture Aspects” Toughened Composites ASTM STP 937 Johnston N.J. American Society for Testing and Materials Philadelphia 1987 74 94
- Evans R.E. Masters J.E. “A New Generation of Epoxy Composites for Primary Structural Applications” Toughened Composite Symposium Houston, TX ASTM 1985
- Yee A.F. “Modified Matrix Materials fo Tougher Composites” Toughened Composite Symposium Houston, TX ASTM 1985
- Masters John E. “Improved Impact and Delamination Resistance through Interleaving” Key Eng. Mat 37 1989 317 348
- Evans Robert E. Masters John E. Jeanne L.Couter “Toughened Interleaved Composites” Advanced Composites,Proc. Confer Dec. 1985 249 256
- Brandt J. Drechsler K. Arendts F.J. “Aproaches for Improving The Damage Tolerance of Composites Structures” EACM4 Stuttgart 1990 509 516
- Masters John E. “Corrrelation of Imapct and Delamination Resistance in Interleafed Laminates” Proc. Sixth Intern. Confer. on Composite Mat Matthews F.L. Elsevier Applied Sci 3 1987 96 107
- Tobukuro K. Odagiri N. Ito Y. Nishimura T. “High Impact Resistance CFRP from Thermosetting System of Torayyca T800H/3900 Prepreg” New Generation Mat. and Processes, SAMPE Saporiti F. Merati W. Peroni L. 1988 293 306
- Recker H.G. “Toughened Thermosets for Damage Tolerant Carbon Fiber Reinforced Composites” SAMPE J 26 1990 73 78
- Cantwell W.J. Morton J. “The Impact Resistance of Composite Materials - A Review” Composite 22 1991 347 362
- Lagace P.A. Mong R.L. Kuhlmnn C.W. “Suppressiojn of Delamination in A Gradient Stress Field in Graphite/Epoxy Laminates” Proc. of 9th Intern. Confer. on Composite Mat. (ICCM/9) Madrid 12-16 July 1993 Miravete Anonio Woodhead Publishing Limited IV 705 713
- Browning C.E. Abrams F.L. Whitney J.M. Composite Mat., ASTM STP 797 1983 54 74