This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Neck Injury Criteria for Children from Real Crash Reconstructions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In view of the lack of data concerning child protection, an accidentological and experimental work was engaged. The goal of this international research involving experts from seven countries was two-fold:
In one hand, to establish protection principles, gathering and analysing real crashes involving restrained children.
In the other hand, to identify and to quantify injury mechanisms in order to increase knowledge on child tolerances. To realize this second part, real crash reconstructions were performed, in order to correlate observed injuries with recorded parameters on dummies. This paper mainly presents four real crashes with the corresponding reconstructions. A special analysis of injury mechanisms in relation with their respective pertinent parameters is then proposed.
CitationTrosseille, X. and Tarriere, C., "Neck Injury Criteria for Children from Real Crash Reconstructions," SAE Technical Paper 933103, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/933103.
- Foust, D.R. Bowman B.M. Snyder R.G. “Study of Human Impact Tolerance Using Investigations ans Simulations of Free-Falls” 21st Stapp Car Crash Conference 1977
- Snyder, R.G. Foust D.R. Bowman B.M. “Study of Impact Tolerance Through Free-Fall Investigation” Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Washington, DC (NTIS Dec 1977
- Snyder, R.G. “Human Tolerance to Extreme Impacts in Free -Fall” Aerospace Med. 34 8 695 709 Aug 1963
- Mohan, D. Bowman B.M. Snyder R.G. Foust D. “A Biomechanical Analysis of Head Impact Injuries to Children” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 101 250 260 Nov 1979
- Snyder, R.G. “Impact Tolerance of Children” Seminar on the Etiology, Pathogenesis and Clinical Findings in 34 Children in the 1975 Vietnam C5A Transport Crash Washington Mar. 1980
- Prasad P. Daniel R.P. “A Biomechanical Analysis of Head, Neck and Torso Injuries to Child Surrogated Due to Sudden Torso Acceleration.” SAE paper n° 841656 1984
- Mertz H.J. Weber D.A. “Interpretations of the Impact Responses of a 3-Year-Old Child Dummy Relative to Child Injury Potential.” 9th ESV Conference Kyoto, Japan 1982
- Dejeammes M. Quincy R systèmes d'un modèle Proceedings of the International Meeting on Biomechanics of Trauma in Children Lyon, France 1974
- Wolanin M.J. et al. “Description and Basis of a Three-Year-Old Child Dummy for Evaluating Passenger Inflatable Restraint Concepts” 9th ESV Conference Kyoto, Japan 1982
- Fayon A. Tarrière C. Essai tête 1974 IRCOBI Conference Lyon, France 1974
- Dejeammes M. et al. “Exploration of Biomechanical Data Towards a Better Evaluation of Tolerance for Children Involved in Automotive Accidents.” SAE paper n° 840530 141
- Kallieris D. et al. “Comparison between Child Cadavers and Child Dummy by Using Child Restraint Systems in Simulated Collisions.” 20th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1976
- Tarrière C. Trosseille X. Carlsson G. “Initial Conclusions of an International Task Force on Child Restraining Systems.” 13th ESV Conference Paris, France 1991
- Lowne R. Gloyns P. Roy P. “Fatal Injuries to Restrained Children Aged 0-4 Years in Great Britain 1972-86 .” 11th ESV Conference Washington DC 1987
- Brun-Cassan F. et al. “A Comparative Study of Restrained Child Dummies and Cadavers in Experimental Crashes.” 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference San Antonio, USA 1993
- Weber K. Dalmotas D. Hendrick B “Investigation of Dummy Response and Restraint Configuration Factors Associated with Upper Spinal Cord Injury in a Forward-Facing Child Restraint.” 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference San Antonio, USA 1993
- Huelke D.F. Mackay G. Moms A. Bradford M. “Car Crashes and Non-Head Impact Cervical Spine Injuries in Infants and Children” SAE paper N° 920562 SAE International Congress and Exposition Feb. 24-28 1992
- Planath I. Rygaard C. Nilsson S. “Synthesis of Data Towards Neck Protection Criteria for Children” 1992 IRCOBI Conference Verona, Italy 1992