This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Atlanto-Occipital Fracture Dislocation in Lap-Belt Restrained Children
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses an attempt to relate measured loading at the head neck junction of arestrained six year old ATD during a frontal crash, to the mechanism of upper cervical fracture dislocation in young children. Lap belt, lap shoulder belt anda four point restraint system are considered. The basis for the reconstructions is the fatal injury to lap-belt restrained young children seated in the rear seat of contemporary minivans. The study concludes that simple forces and bending moments measured on such an ATD may not provide a sufficient basis for judging the likelihood of such an injury. Suggestions for a more comprehensive injury analysis are made.
|Technical Paper||Spinal Cord Injuries to Children in Real World Accidents|
|Technical Paper||Injury Severity in Restrained Children in Motor Vehicle Crashes|
|Technical Paper||Simulation of Occipitoatlantoaxial Injury Utilizing a MADYMO Model|
CitationNewman, J. and Dalmotas, D., "Atlanto-Occipital Fracture Dislocation in Lap-Belt Restrained Children," SAE Technical Paper 933099, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/933099.
- National Traffic Safety Board Performance of Lap Belts in 26 Frontal Crashes
- Carlsonn, G. Personal Communication: Reconstruction of Volvo 245 accident Tarriere, C. Chairman Feb. 1992
- Fuchs, S. Barthel, J. Flamery, S.M. Cervical spine fractures sustained by young children in forward facing car seats 84 2 348 354 1989
- Hoy, GA. Cole, WG. The pediatric cervical seat belt syndrome Injury International Forum of the Care of the Injured 24 5 297 299 1993
- Huelke, D.F. MacKay, G.M. Morris, S. Bradford, J. Cervical fractures and fracture dislocations without head impacts sustained by restrained occupants 36th AAAM Conference Portland, Or. Oct. 1992
- Mertz, H.J. Weber, D.A. Interpretations of the responses of a 3-year old child dummy relative to child injury potential 1982 ESV Conference Kyoto, Japan
- Planath, I. Reygaard, C. Nilsonn, S. Synthesis of data towards neck protection criteria for children 1992 IRCOBI Conference Verona, Italy Sept. 9-11 1992
- Prasad, P. Daniel, R.P. A biomechanical analysis of head, neck, and torso injuries to child surrogates due to sudden torso acceleration SAE paper # 84 1656 1984 Stapp Conference Chicago, Illinois Nov. 6-7 1984