This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Load Transmission and Vibration Characteristics of Automobile Gear
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this study is to develop a computer simulation program for analyzing load transmission and vibration, characteristics of a helical gear system in the design stage.
In this analyse, the transmission error, load distribution, root stress, contact area, and vibration characteritics are investigated. That is, the influence function of deflection is obtained by finite element analysis and the influence function of approach and gear tooth error are considered. Load distribution, transmission error, and contact area are calculated by solving load-deflection equation which includes these influence functions and tooth error, and the influence function of the bending moment is obtained by finite element analysis. The root stress is calculated by the load distribution and the influence function of the bending moment.
Also, mass/damping/non-linear spring model for the gears is used and the vibration levels due to tooth error are calculated. The results of the simulation are cross-checked through a specially designed experimental set-up.
CitationPark, C. and Lee, J., "The Load Transmission and Vibration Characteristics of Automobile Gear," SAE Technical Paper 932917, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/932917.
- Welboum, D.B. “Fundamental Knowledge of Gear Noise - A Survey” I. Mech. E. C117/79 1979 9 14
- Smith, J.D. Gear and Vibration: A Basic Approach to Understanding Gear Noise Marcel Dekker Co. New York 1983
- Simon, V. “Load and Stress Distributions in Spur and Helical Gears” ASME Journal of Mechanisms, Transmissions, and Automation in Design June 1988 110 197 202
- Shyogo Kato et al. “Analytical Procedure for Gear Tooth Surface Modification Reducing Gear Gear Tooth Surface Noise” SAE 852273
- Conry, T.F. Seireg, A. “A Mathematical Programing Technique for the Evaluation of Load Distribution and Optimal Modifications for Gear Systems” ASME Journal of Engineering for Industry Nov. 1973 1115 11226
- Kubo, A. “Stress Condition, Vibrational Exciting Force, and Contact Pattern of Helical Gear with Manufacturing and Alignment Error” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design 100 Jan. 1978 77 84
- Hayashi, Kunikazu “Load Distribution on the Contact Line of Helical Gear Teeth (Part I Fundamental Concept)” Bulletin of the JSME 6 22 1963 336 343
- Umezawa, K. “The Meshing Test on Helical Gears under Load Transmission(1st Report, The Approximate Formula for Deflections of Gear Tooth)” Bulletin of the JSME 15 90 1972 1632 1639
- Umezawa, K. “The Meshing Test on Helical Gears under Load Transmission(2nd Report, The Approximate Formula for Bending-Moment Distribution of Gear Tooth)- Bulletin of the JSME 16 92 Feb 1973 407 413
- Umezawa, K. “Deflections and Moments Due to a Concentrated Load on a Rack-Shaped Cantilever Plate with Finite Width for Gears” Bulletin of the JSME 15 79 1972 116 130
- Umezawa, K. “The Meshing Test on Helical Gears under Load Transmission(3rd Report, The Static Behaviours of Driven Gear)” Bulletin of the JSME 17 112 Oct. 1974 1348 1355
- Umezawa, K. Ishikawa, J. “Deflection Due to Contact between Gear Teeth with Finite Width” Bulletin of the JSME 16 97 Jul. 1973 1085 1093
- Stegemiller, M. E. Houser, D. R. “A Three Dimensional Analysis of the Base Flexibility of Gear Teeth” Proceedings of the 1989 international Power Transmission and Gearing Conference 189 196
- Fukuma, H. et al. “Fundamental Research on Gear Noise and Vibration(6th Report, Generation Mechanism of Radial and Axial Vibration of Spur Gear)” Bulletin of the JSME 16 97 July 1973 1094 1107
- Utagawa Masahiro “Measurements of Dynamic Loads on Gear Teeth” Proceedings of the 6th Japan National Congress for App. Mech. 1956 IV 14
- Umezawa, K. “The performance Diagrams for the Vibration of Helical Gears” Proceedings of the 1989 International Power Transmission and Gearing Conference 399 408
- Kiyono, S. Aida, T. Fujii, Y. “Vibration of Helical Gears:Part 2 Experimental Investigation” Bulletin of the JSME 21 155 May 1978 923 930