This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Machine Vision System for Quantifying Engine Valve Deposits
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Inlet valve deposits in gasoline engines have a significant effect on engine operation with particular reference to cold starting and driveability. Present methods of quantifying these deposits by weighing them or rating them with the aid of a visual rating scale are recognized as not being reliable indices of the detrimental effect of these deposits. A valve deposit quantification system was developed that relied on the use of machine vision. Algorithms were formulated to track the silhouetted edge profile of a backlit valve from which a valve volume was determined. The valve deposit volume was calculated as the difference in volume between the valve in its clean and coked states. The system was able to detect a minimum coke deposit level of 0.06g at the 95% confidence limit, the accuracy being based on the correlation between the volume as determined by the vision system and the mass of the deposit.
|Technical Paper||Simulation and Test Results for Several Variable-Valve-Actuation Mechanisms|
|Technical Paper||Design Considerations of Linear Hall Sensor For Thottle Position Sensing|
|Technical Paper||Fuel Injection System for Small Motorcycles|
CitationHansen, A., Brooker, A., and Reid, J., "Machine Vision System for Quantifying Engine Valve Deposits," SAE Technical Paper 932807, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/932807.
- Ray D.B. Such C.H. 1989 Report on the CRC workshop on intake valve deposits Ricardo Test Services Limited Bridge Works Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex, England
- Springer K.J. 1990 Gasoline and diesel fuel qualification: a national need Trans. ASME 112 398 407
- Bitting B. Gschwendtner F. Kohlhepp W. Kothe M. Testroet C.J. Ziwica K.H. 1987 Intake valve deposits-fuel detergency requirements revisited SAE Paper 872117
- Reid J. F. Hansen A. C. Goering C. E. 1989 Quantifying diesel injector coking with computer vision Trans. ASAE 32 1503 1506
- Snedecor G.W. Cochran W.G 1989 Statistical Methods Iowa State University Press Ames, Iowa, USA