This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Volatility and Flammability of Variable Fuel Vehicle Tank Contents
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the methodology and results of vapour pressure measurements and vapour phase composition determinations of M20, M50, M70 and M85 methanol-gasoline blends. These blends were chosen to span the range of composition which could be found in a variable fuel vehicle tank. Vapour pressures were measured at seven temperatures from -40°C to 40°C and at vapour liquid ratios of 4:1 and 500:1. The vapour phase composition was determined for these two vapour liquid ratios at temperatures of -28.9°C (-20°F) and -17.8°C (0°F). This paper also compares the theoretical predictions of vapour pressure and fuel/air equivalence ratio of the Royal Military College multicomponent fuel volatility model to the experimental measurements.
|Technical Paper||Summary of the Fire Safety Impacts of Methanol as a Transportation Fuel|
|Technical Paper||Design Guidelines for Methanol Refuelling Stations - 1992|
|Technical Paper||Volatility and Flammability of Methanol/Gasoline Blends|
CitationVaivads, R., Rao, V., Bardon, M., and Battista, V., "Volatility and Flammability of Variable Fuel Vehicle Tank Contents," SAE Technical Paper 932776, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/932776.
- Lide D. CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics CRC Press Ann Arbor 1990
- “Vapour Pressure of Petroleum Products (Reid Method)” Test D323 American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia 1982
- Vaivads R.H. Bardon M.F. “Vapour Pressure and Vapour Phase Composition Measurements of M85 Blends with Selected Hydrocarbon Primers” SAE Project Group 3 Report # TE921101 Thermotech Engineering Kingston, Ontario December 1992
- Bardon M.F. Rao V.K. Vaivads R. Evans M.J.B. “Measured and Predicted Effect of the Extent of Evaporation on Gasoline Vapour Pressure,” J. Inst. Energy Dec. 1986
- Reid R.C. Prausnitz J.M. Sherwood T.K. The Properties of Gases and Liquids, Their Estimation and Correlation McGraw-Hill New York 1977
- “Standard Method for Distillation of Petroleum Products” Test D86 American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia 1982
- Bardon M.F. Rao V.K. Battista V. “Volatility and Flammability of Methanol/Gasoline Blends” SAE Paper # 892062 International Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition Baltimore, Maryland Sept. 25-28, 1989