This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Unleaded Gasoline-Azeotropic Ethanol Blends as Fuels for Spark Ignition Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Among the search for fuel alternatives for spark ignition engines special attention is directed recently towards the evaluation of ethanol and ethanol-gasoline blends as it was once again popular in the past. In this study, the use of unleaded gasoline containing 10% by volume azeotropic ethanol (containing 4.4 % water by weight and having a boiling point of 78.15°C) as a fuel alternative was investigated. Experimental procedure consisted of several steps as solving the stability problem of the ethanol-gasoline blends by (a) introducing fusel oil as the new blending agent; (b) determining the ASTM fuel properties of the homogenous - stable blend fuel thus prepared and (c) comparing the engine performance characteristics and exhaust emission values of the fuel alternative candidate with those given for gasoline. Both the fuel property tests and engine performance tests of the blend fuel gave very promising results.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Automotive Gasolines|
|Technical Paper||Performance and Emissions of a SI Engine using Methanol-Water Blends|
|Technical Paper||The Use of Dimethyl Ether as a Starting Aid for Methanol-Fueled SI Engines at Low Temperatures|
CitationKaraosmanoglu, F., Isigigur, A., and Aksoy, H., "Unleaded Gasoline-Azeotropic Ethanol Blends as Fuels for Spark Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 932771, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/932771.
- Hunt V.D. “The Gasohol Handbook” Industrial Press Inc. New York 1981
- Scheller W.A. “Current Advances in Implementing Gasohol as a U.S. Automotive Fuel” Second European Communities Conference on Energy from Boimass West Berlin 1982
- Paul J.K. “Large and Small Scale Ethyl Alcohol Manufacturing Processes from Agricultural Raw Materials” Noyes Data Corporation New Jersey 1980
- Karosmanoglu F. Aksoy H.A. Civelekoglu H. “The Effects of Isopropanol Addition on Gasoline-Alcohol Motor Fuel Blends” Journal of the Institute of Energy LXI 125 128 1988
- Osten D.W. Sell N.J. “Methanol-Gasoline Blends: Blending Agent to Present Phase Separation” Fuel 62 268 270 1983
- Karaosmanoglu F. “Evaluation of Alcohol-Gasoline Blends as Engine Fuel Alternative” PhD Thesis Istanbul Technical University November 1990 Turkiye
- Annual Book of ASTM Standards Information Document on Gasohol (Motor Fuel Containing 10% Volume of Ethanol in Gasoline) 25 920 937 1981
- Bland W.F. Davidson R.L. Petroleum Processing Handbook McGraw-Hill Book Company 11 21 London-New York 1967
- Verein Deutscher Ingenierue VDI 2456, Blatt 2 1973
- Karosmanoglu F. Isigigur A. Sorusbay C. Aksoy H.A. “Methanol-Gasoline Blends as Alternative Engine Fuel” Proceedings of IX International Symposium on Alcohol Fuels Firenze November 1991
- Karosmanoglu F. Isigigur A. Aksoy H.A. “The effects of Methanol-Gasoline Blends on Exhaust Emissions” Proceedings of International Conference - Next Generation Technologies for Efficient Energy End Uses and Fuel Switching Dortmund April 1991