This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Fuel on the Regulated, Unregulated and Mutagenic Emissions of DI Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Emissions of heavy duty engines using hydrocarbon fuels and rape seed methyl ester (RME) were measured according to the ECE R49 test procedure. The effect of fuel density on engine power was taken into account in the ECE R49 tests. The two reformulated fuels tested had sulphur below 50 ppm, aromatics below 20 vol-%, cetane number over 49 and reduced triaromatic content.
Particulates were measured in a AVL Mini Dilution Tunnel 474 and gaseous unregulated hydrocarbons by Siemens FTIR.
Reformulation reduced NOx by 5 to 12 %, particulates by 10 to 25 % and Ames mutagenicity by 56 to 74 %. RME increased NOx by 4 to 9 %, reduced particulates by 0 to 33 % and the mutagenicity by 17 %.
Cetane number was found to be not important in reducing emissions. Low fuel triaromatic and low particulate PAH content reduced the mutagenicity of particulates.
|Technical Paper||Heavy-Duty Diesel Emissions as a Function of Alternate Fuels|
|Technical Paper||Effects of a Catalyzed Diesel Particle Filter on the Chemical and Biological Character of Emissions from a Diesel Engine Used in Underground Mines|
CitationRantanen, L., Mikkonen, S., Nylund, L., Kociba, P. et al., "Effect of Fuel on the Regulated, Unregulated and Mutagenic Emissions of DI Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 932686, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/932686.
SAE 1993 Transactions: Journal of Fuels & Lubricants
Number: V102-4; Published: 1994-09-01
Number: V102-4; Published: 1994-09-01
- Nikanjam M. Development of the First CARB Certified California Alternative Diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper Series 930728 Warrendale 1993 28
- Westerholm R. Egebäck K.-E. Impact of Fuels on Diesel Exhaust Emissions Swedish Environmental Protection Agency, Report 3968 Solna, Sweden 1991 158
- Heller B. et al. Performance of a New System for Emission Sampling and Measurement (SESAM) SAE Technical Paper Series 900275 Warrendale 1990 11
- Adler J. M. Carey P. M. Air Toxics Emissions and Health Risks from Mobile Sources 82nd Annual Air and Waste Management Association Meeting June 1989 Paper # 89-34A 6
- 1991 67
- Shore P. R. deVries R. S. On-LIne Hydrocarbon Speciation Using FTIR and CI-MS SAE Technical Paper Series 922246 Warrendale 1992 17
- Franzen J. et al. Fast Multicomponent Exhaust Gas Analyzer for Motor Development Workplaces SAE Technical Paper Series 930082 Warrendale 1993 5
- Boesl U. et al. Fast Exhaust Gas Probe for Multicomponent Analysis: Scientific/Technical Principle SAE Technical Paper Series 930083 Warrendale 1993 9
- Kachi H. et al. Sampling Conditions for Measurement of Formaldehyde from Methanol-Fueled Vehicle SAE Technical Paper Series 930080 Warrendale 1993 8
- Andino J. M. Butler J. W. A Study of the Stability of Methanol-Fueled Vehicle Emissions in Tedlar Bags Environ. Sci. Technol. 25 1991 1644 1646
- Adachi M., et al. Automotive Emission Analysis Using FTIR Spectrophotometer SAE Technical Paper Series 920723 Warrendale 1992
- Zweidinger R. A. et al. Comparison of Three Analytical Methods for the Determination of Methanol in Vehicle Evaporative and Exhaust Samples SAE Technical Paper Series 930377 Warrendale 1993 13
- IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of the Carcinogenic Risk to Humans, Vol. 46: Diesel and gasoline engine exhausts and some nitroarenes International Agency for Research on Cancer Lyon 1989
- Claxton L. D. Kohan M. Bacterial mutagenesis and the evaluation of mobile source emissions Short-Term Bioassays in the Analysis of Complex Environmental Mixtures II Waters M.D. et al. Plenum Press New York 1981 299 317
- Claxton L. D. Characterization of Automotive Emissions by bacterial Mutagenesis Bioassay: A Review Environ. Mutag. 5 1983 609 631
- Barale R. Migliore L. Cellini B. Francioni L. Giorgielli F. Barrai I. Loprieno N. Genetic Toxicology of Airborne Particulate Matter Using Cytogenetic Assays and Microbial Mutagenicity Assays Genetic Toxicology of Complex Mixtures Waters M.D. et. al. Plenum Press New York 1990 57 71
- Crebelli R. Fuselli S. Conti G. Conti L. Carere A. Mutagenicity spectra in bacterial strains of airborne and engine exhaust particulate extracts Mutation Res. 261 1991 237 248
- Matsuoka A. Sofuni T. Miyata N. Ishidate M. Jr. Clastogenicity of 1-nitropyrene, dinitropyrenes, fluorene and mononitrofluorenes in cultured Chinese hamster cells Mutation Res. 259 1991 103 110
- Nakagawa R. Kitamori S. Horikawa K. Nakashima K. Tokiwa H. Identification of dinitropyrenes in diesel-exhaust particles Mutation Res 124 1983 201 211
- Rosenkranz H. S. Diesel emissions revisited: is the carcinogenicity due to a genotoxic mechanism? Mutation Res. 182 1987 1 4
- Barale R. Bulleri M. Cornetti G. Loprieno N. Wachter W. F. Preliminary Investigation on Genotoxic Potential of Diesel Exhaust SAE Technical Paper Series 920397 Warrendale 1992 15
- Rasmussen R. E. Effect of fuel properties on mutagenic activity in extracts of heavy-duty diesel exhaust particulate J.Air.Waste.Manag.Assoc. 40 1990 1391 1396
- Jensen T. E. Siegel W. O. Lipari F. Loo J. F. Sigsby J. E. Advanced Emission Speciation Methodologies for the Auto/Oil Air Quality Improvement Research Program. 1 Hydrocarbons and Ethers. Environmental Protection Agency Research Triangle Park NC Atmospheric Research and Exposure Assessment Lab Ford Motor Co. Dearborn, MI Scientific and Research Lab Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA General Motors Proving Ground Milford, MI Govt Reports Announcements & Index (GRA&I) 13 1992
- McCoy C. C. Rosenkranz H. S. Mermelstein R. Evidence for the existence of a family of bacterial nitroreductases capable of activating nitrated polycyclics to mutagens Environ. Mutagen. 3 1981 421 427
- Watanabe M. Nohmi T. Ishidate M. Jr. New tester strains of Salmonella typhimurium highly sensitive to mutagenic nitroarenes Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 147 1987 974 979
- Watanabe M. Ishidate M. Jr. Nohmi T. A sensitive method for the detection of mutagenic nitroarenes and aromatic amines: construction of nitroreductase-overproducing derivatives of Salmonella typhimurium tester strains TA98 and TA100 Mutation Res. 216 1989 211 220
- Watanabe M. Ishidate M. Jr. Nohmi T. Sensitive method for the detection of mutagenic nitroarenes and aromatic amines: new derivatives of Salmonella typhimurium tester strains possessing elevated O-acetyltransferase levels Mutation Res. 234 1990 337 348
- Cowley L. T. Le Jeune A. Lange W. W. The Effect of Fuel Composition Including Aromatics Content on Emissions From a Range of Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines Fourth International Symposium on the performance evaluation of automotive fuels and lubricants Birmingham 5 - 7 May, 1993 22
- The Council of the European Communities 1991 3
- Shore P. R. Tesh J. M. Bootman J. Application of Short-Term Bioassays to the Exhaust Emissions SAE Technical Paper Series 870627 Warrendale 1987
- Maron D. M. Ames B. N. Revised methods for the Salmonella mutagenicity test Mutation Res. 113 1983 173 215
- Nylund N.-O. et al. Performance Evaluation on Alternative Fuel/Engine Concepts, Final Report of Part One for: IEA Alternative Motor Fuels Annex V Technical Research Centre of Finland, Laboratory of Fuel Processing March 1993 62
- Zeiger E. Haseman J.K. Shelby M.D. Margolin B.H. Tennant R.W. Evaluation of four in vitro genetic toxicity tests for predicting rodent carcinogenicity: Confirmation of earlier results with 41 additional chemicals Environ. Mol. Mutagen. 16 18 1990 1 14
- Purchase I.F.H. Longstaff E. Ashby J. Styles J.A. Anderson D. Lefevre P.A. Westwood F.R. Evaluation of six short term tests for detecting organic chemical carcinogens and recommendations for their use Nature 264 1976 624 627