This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Split Injection on Soot and NOx Production in an Engine-Fed Combustion Chamber
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This research focused on the effects of split injection on combustion in a diesel environment. It was done in a specially designed engine-fed combustion chamber (swirl ratio of 5) with full field optical access through a quartz window. The simulated engine combustion chamber used a special backwards spraying injector (105°).
The electronically controlled injector could control the size and position of it's, two injections. Both injections were through the same nozzle and it produced very rapid injections (1.5 ms) with a maximum injection pressure of 130 MPa.
Experimental data included: rate of injection, injector pressure, combustion chamber dumping (NO & NOx concentrations), flame temperature, KL factor (soot concentration) combustion pressure, and rate of pressure rise.
Injection rates indicate that the UCORS injection system creates very rapid injections with the ability to produce controllable split injections. From combustion pressure data, a split injection can be injected earlier in the combustion cycle while creating a similar pressure history to a single injection.
These experiments indicate that a split injection initially produces less soot but a single injection oxidizes its soot rapidly to similar levels. A split injection reduces NO and NOx by 50 - 60 % when compared to a single injection while limiting the peak rate of pressure rise to 75% of a single injection.
CitationBower, G. and Foster, D., "The Effect of Split Injection on Soot and NOx Production in an Engine-Fed Combustion Chamber," SAE Technical Paper 932655, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/932655.
SAE 1993 Transactions: Journal of Fuels & Lubricants
Number: V102-4; Published: 1994-09-01
Number: V102-4; Published: 1994-09-01
- Akagi, J. Edo, T. Sakasai J. Tsumura, Y. “A New Accumulator Fuel Injection System for Direct Injection Diesel Engines,” SAE 821114 1982
- Augustin, U. Schwarz, V. “Low-Noise Combustion with Pilot Injection,” Truck Technology International 1991
- Baker, Q.A. Ariga, S. Rosegay, K.H. Sefer, N.R. Baily, B.K. Erwin, J. Wakenell J.F. “Alternate Fuels for Medium-Speed Diesel Engines (AFFMSDE) Program,” February 1984
- Bosch, W. “The Fuel Rate Indicator: A New Measurement Instrument For Display of the Characteristics of Individual Injection,” SAE 660749 1966
- Bower, G.R. Foster, D.E. “The Effect of Split Injection on Fuel Distribution in an Engine-Fed Combustion Chamber,” SAE 930864 1993
- Bower, G.R. Foster, D.E. “A Comparison of the Bosch and Zuech Rate of Injection Meters,” SAE 910724 1991
- Bower, G.R. Foster, D.E. “Data from a Variable Rate Shape High Pressure Injection System Operating in an Engine Fed Constant Volume Combustion Chamber,” SAE 902082 1990
- Doyle, D.M. Needham, J.R. Faulkner, S.A. Freese, R.G. “Application of an Advanced In-Line Injection System to a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE 891847 1989
- Feiereisen, J.M. “Design, Construction, and Testing of an Engine Fed Spray Chamber with Optical Access,” Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Wisconsin-Madison 1989
- Flanagan, R.C. Menard, L.I. “Controlled Combustion of Low Cetane Tar Sands Fuels in High Speed Diesel Engines,” The Combustion Institute Spring Technical Meeting 1989
- Hil, R.W. Lawrence, C.S. Clarke, D.P. Needham, J.R. “The Optimized Direct Injection Diesel Engine for Future Passenger Cars,” SAE 880419 1988
- Kakegawa, T. Suzuki, T. Tsujimura, K. Shimoda, M. “A Study of Combustion of High Pressure Fuel Injection for Direct Injection Diesel Engine,” SAE 880422 1988
- Kato, T. Tsujimura, K. Shintani, M. Minami, T. Yamaguchi, I. “Spray Characteristics and Combustion Improvement of D.I. Diesel Engine with High Pressure Injection,” SAE 890265 1989
- Shakal, J. Martin, J.K. “Effects of Auxiliary Injection on Diesel Engine Combustion,” SAE 900398 1990
- Shimada, T. Shoji, T. Takeda, Y. “The Effect of Fuel Injection Pressure on Diesel Engine Performance,” SAE 891919 1989
- Yamaguchi, I. Nakahira, T. Komori, M. Kobayashi, S. “An Image Analysis of High Speed Combustion Photographs for D.I. Diesel Engine with High Pressure Fuel Injection,” SAE 901577 1990
- Yoshikawa, S. Furusawa, R. Arai, M. Hiroyasu, H. “Optimizing Spray Behavior to Improve Engine Performance and to Reduce Exhaust Emissions in a Small D.I. Diesel Engine,” SAE 890463 1989