This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Brief Survey of Wing Tip Devices for Drag Reduction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A short survey of wing tip geometries for drag reduction is presented. These devices have been divided into two broad categories of passive and active. The first category is made of fixed geometries, while the second group is made of those employing moving parts. The former group is further divided into planar and nonplanar designs. In every case, a brief explanation of the underlying logic is given. Altogether, more than fifteen completely different designs and over seventy references have been cited. Some of these designs, such as winglets, have been explored for many years and have proven to be very effective at reducing the induced drag at higher values of lift coefficient. Some others, such as wing tip turbines, have just begun to attract attention. Wing tip fuel tanks, not being solely employed for drag reduction, have not been included in this paper.
CitationRokhsaz, K., "A Brief Survey of Wing Tip Devices for Drag Reduction," SAE Technical Paper 932574, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/932574.
- Lanchester Fredrick W., Aerodynamics-Constituting the First Volume of a Complete Work on Aerial Flight, A. Constable & Co., Ltd, London, 1907.
- Prandtl Ludwing, “Applications of Modern Hydrodynamics to Aeronautics,” NACA Report #116, 1921.
- Munk Max M., “The Minimum Induced Drag of Aerofoils,” NACA Report #121, 1921.
- Munk Max M., “General Theory of Thin Wing Sections,” NACA Report #142, 1922.
- Munk Max M., “Elements of Wing Section Theory and of the Wing Theory,” NACA Report #191, 1924.
- Giocomelli R, “Historical Sketches,” Aerodynamic Theory, Vol. 1, Edited by Durand W. F., California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, 1943.
- Munk Max M., “The Twisted Wing with Elliptical Plan Form,” NACA TN-109, August 1922.
- Raymer P. D., Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach, AIAA Educational Series, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Inc., Washington DC, 1989.
- Hoerner S. F., Fluid-Dynamic Drag: Practical Information on Aerodynamic Drag and Hydrodynamic Resistance, Published by S. F. Hoerner, Midland Park, NJ, 1958.
- Norton F. H., “An Investigation of the Effect of Raked Wing Tips,” NACA TN-69, November 1921.
- Zahm A. F., Bear R. M., and Hill G. C., “Lift and Drag Effects of Wing-Tip Rake,” NACA Report No. 140, 1922.
- Balcerak J. C. and Feller R. F., “Effect of Sweep Angle on the Pressure Distribution and Effectiveness of the Ogee Tip in Diffusing a Line Vortex,” NASA CR-132355, 1974.
- Vogel J. M., “An Application of the Ogee Tip,” Proceedings of NASA-Industry-University-General Aviation Drag Reduction Workshop, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, July 1975, pp 191-202, (also NASA-CR-145627).
- van Dam C. P., “Swept Wing-Tip Shapes for Low Speed Airplanes,” SAE Paper 851770, 1986.
- Vijgen P. M. H. W., van Dam C. P., and Holmes B. J., “Sheared Wing-Tip Aerodynamics: Wind Tunnel and Computational Investigation,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 26, No. 3, March 1989, pp 207-213.
- Burkett C. W., “Reduction in Induced Drag by the Use of Aft Swept Wing Tips,” Aeronautical Journal, Vol. 93, No. 930, December 1989, pp 400-405.
- van Dam C. P., “Induced-Drag Characteristics of Crescent-Moon-Shaped Wings,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 24, No. 2, February 1987, pp 115-119.
- Smith S. C. and Kroo I. M., “A Closer Look at the Induced Drag of Crescent-Shaped Wings,” AIAA Paper 90-3063, AIAA 8th Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Portland, OR, August 1990.
- van Dam C. P., Vijgen P. M. H. W., and Holmes B. J., “Experimental Investigation of the Effect of Crescent Planform on Lift and Drag,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 28, No. 11, November 1991, pp 713-720.
- van Dam C. P., Vijgen P. M. H. W., and Holmes B. J., “Aerodynamic Characteristics of Crescent and Elliptic Wings at High Angles of Attack,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 28, No. 4, April 1991, pp 253-260.
- Ma E. C., “Effect of Wing Tip Strakes on Wing Lift-Drag Ratio,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 26, No. 5, May 1991, pp 410-416.
- van Aken J. M., “An Investigation of Tip Planform Influence on the Aerodynamic Load Characteristics of a Semi-Span, Unswept Wing and Wing-Tip,” NASA CR-177110, December 1985.
- van Aken J. M. and Stroub R. H., “Tip Aerodynamics From Wind Tunnel Test of Semi-Span Wing,” NASA TM-88253, September 1986.
- Martin D. M. and Young L. A., “Experimental Study of an Independently Deflected Wingtip Mounted on a Semispan Wing,” NASA TM-102842, September 1991.
- Yates J. E. and Coleman duP. D., “A Fundamental Study of Drag and an Assessment of Conventional Drag-Due-to-Lift Reduction Devices,” NASA CR-4004, September 1986.
- van Dam C. P., “Analysis of Nonplanar Wing-Tip Mounted Lifting Surfaces on Low-Speed Airplanes,” NASA CR-3684, June 1983.
- Hemke P. E., “Drag of Wings with End Plates,” NACA Report # 267, 1927.
- “Airbus Tests New A310-300 Wingtip Fences”, Aviation Week & Space Technology, Vol. 119, No. 25, December 19, 1983, pp 30.
- Lenorovitz J. M., “Airbus Adding Wingtip Fences to A310 Transport Next Year,” Aviation Week & Space Technology, Vol. 120, No. 15, April 9, 1994, pp 45.
- Clements H. R., “An Investigation of Canted Adjustable End-Plates for the Control of Drag,” M. S. Thesis, the Municipal University of Wichita (currently The Wichita State University), April 1954.
- Flechner S. G., Jacobs P. F., and Whitcomb R. T., “A High Subsonic Speed Wind Tunnel Investigation of Winglets on a Jet Transport Wing,” NASA TN-D-8264, 1976.
- Whitcomb R. T., “A Design Approach and Selected Wind Tunnel Results at High Subsonic Speeds for Wing-Tip Mounted Winglets,” NASA TN-D-8260, 1976.
- Jacobs P. F., Flechner S. G., and Montoya L. C., “Effect of Winglets on a First Generation Transport Wing 1: Longitudinal Aerodynamic Characteristics for a Semispan Model at Subsonic Speeds,” NASA TN-D-8473, June 1978.
- Jacobs P. F., “Effect of Winglets on a First Generation Transport Wing 5: Stability Characteristics of a Full-Span Wing with a Generalized Fuselage at High Subsonic Speeds,” NASA TP-1163, March 1978.
- Flechner S. G. and Jacobs P. F., “Experimental Results of Winglets on First, Second, and Third Generation Jet Transports,” NASA TM-72674, March 1978.
- Montoya L. C., Flechner S. G., and Jacobs P. F., “Effect of Winglets on a First Generation Transport Wing 2: Pressure and Spanwise Load Distribution for a Semispan Model at High Subsonic Speeds,” NASA TN-D-8474, July 1978.
- Montoya L. C., Jacobs P. F., and Flechner S. G., “Effect of Winglets on a First Generation Transport Wing 3: Pressure and Spanwise Load Distribution for a Semispan Model at Mach 0.3,” NASA TN-D-8478, June 1978.
- Montoya L. C., Flechner S. G., and Jacobs P. F., “Effect of an Alternate Winglet on the Pressure and Spanwise Load Distribution of a First Generation jet Transport Wing,” NASA TM-78786, December 1978.
- Heyson H. H., Riebe G. D., and Fulton C. L., “Theoretical Parametric Study of the Relative Advantages of Winglets and Wing-Tip Extensions,” NASA TN-1020, 1977.
- Lundry J. L., “A Numerical Solution for the Minimum Induced Drag and the Corresponding Loading of Nonplanar Wings,” NASA CR-1218, 1968.
- Cone C. D., “The Theory of Induced Lift and Minimum Induced Drag of Nonplanar Lifting Systems,” NASA TR-R-139, 1962.
- Kuethe A. M.and Chow C. Y., Foundation of Aerodynamics: Bases for Aerodynamic Design, Fourth Edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 1986.
- Papadakis M, Personal Notes.
- van Dam C. P., “Natural Laminar Flow Airfoil Design Considerations for Winglets on Low-Speed Airplanes,” NASA CR-3853, December 1984.
- “Winglets: Citations from the International Aerospace Abstracts,” Produced by National Technical Information Service, Document # PB88-863832, May 1988.
- Allen J. G., “Vortex Drag Reduction Using Wing Tip Sails,” Thesis, Cranfield Institute of Technology, Bedford, England, September 1976.
- Spillman J. J., “Use of Wing Tip Sails to Reduce vortex Drag,” Aeronautical Journal, Vol. 82, No. 813, September 1978, pp 387-395.
- Parkin C. S. and Spillman J. J., “The Use of Wing Tip Sails on a Spraying Aircraft to Reduce the Amount of Material Carried Off-Target by a Crosswind,” Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, Vol. 25, 1980, pp 65-74.
- Spillman J. J., “The Effect of Wing Tip Devices in the Far-Field Wake of a Paris Aircraft,” Aerodynamics of Vortical Type Flows in Three Dimensions, AGARD-CP-342, 1983, pp 31B1-31B9.
- Spillman J. J., Ratcliffe H. Y., and McVitie A. M., “Flight Experiment to Evaluate the Effects of Wing Tip Sails on Fuel Consumption and Handling Characteristics,” Aeronautical Journal, Vol. 83, No. 823, July 1979, pp 279-281.
- Fell M. J. and Spillman J. J., “The Effects of Wing Tip Devices on the Performance of the BAe Jetstream,” Aerodynamics of Vortical Type Flows in Three Dimensions, AGARD-CP-342, 1983, pp 31A1-A1131
- Spillman J. J., “Wing Tip Sails; Progress to Date and Future Development,” Aeronautical Journal, Vol. 91, No. 910, December 1987, pp 445-453.
- Weyl A. R., “Wing Tips for Tailless Aeroplanes,” Aircraft Engineering, September 1945, pp 259-266.
- Cone C. D., “Thermal Soaring of Birds,” American Scientist, Vol. 50, March 1962, pp 180-209.
- Pfenninger W., “Design Considerations of Large Global Range High Subsonic Speed LFC Transport Airplanes,” AGARD Report 654, Proceedings of Special Course on Concepts for Drag Reduction, von Karman Institute, Rhode-St-Genese, March 1977, pp 3.63-3.75.
- Naik D. A. and Ostowari C, “Effects of Nonplanar Outboard Wing Forms on a Wing,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 27, No. 2, February 1990, pp 117-122.
- Wentz W. H. and Nagati M. G., “Wing-Tip Vanes as Vortex Attenuation and Induced Drag Reduction Devices,” Proceedings of NASA-Industry-University General Aviation Drag Reduction Workshop, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, July 1975, pp 203-214. (Also NASA CR-145627)
- Patterson J. C., “Wingtip Vortex Turbine,” United States Patent # 4,917,332, April 17, 1990.
- Patterson J. C. and Flechner S. G., “Exploratory Wind-Tunnel Investigation of a Wingtip-Mounted Vortex Turbine for Vortex Energy Recovery,” NASA TP-2468, June 1985.
- “Turbines Recover Power by Dissipating Induced Drag from Wingtip Vortices,” Aviation Week & Space Technology, Vol. 125, No. 9, September 1, 1986, pp 199.
- Palmer H. R. Jr., Remarkable Flying Machines, Superior Publishing Co., Seattle, WA, 1972.
- Taylor M. J. H., Fantastic Flying Machines, Jane's Publishing Co., Inc., New York, NY, 1982.
- Snyder M. H., “Effects of a Wingtip-Mounted Propeller on Wing Lift, Induced Drag, and Shed Vortex Pattern,” Aeronautical Report 68-5, Department of Aeronautical Engineering, Wichita State University, December 1968.
- Patterson J. C., “Wingtip Vortex Propeller,” United States Patent # 4,533,101, August 6, 1985.
- Patterson J. C. and Bartlett G. R., “Evaluation of Installed Performance of a Wing-Tip-Mounted Pusher Turboprop on a Semispan Wing.” NASA TP-2739, August 1987.
- Ayers R. F. and Wilde M. R., “Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Swept Wing with Spanwise Blowing,” Cranfield College of Aeronautics Note 57, Cranfield, England, 1956.
- Smith V. J. and Simpson G. J., “A Preliminary Investigation of the Effect of a Thin High Velocity Tip Jet on a Low Aspect Ratio Wing,” Aeronautical Research Laboratories, Aerodynamics Note 163, Australia Department of Supply, Research and Development Branch, 1957.
- Carafoli E. and Camarasescu N., “New Researches on Small Span-Chord Ratio Wings with Lateral Jets,” Air Force FTD-HC-23-319-71, June 1969.
- Wu J. M. and Vakili A. D., “Aerodynamic Improvements by Discrete Wing Tip Jets,” AFWAL-TR-84-3009, March 1984.
- Tavella D. A., Wood N. J., and Harrits P., “Influence of Tip Blowing on Rectangular Wings,” AIAA Paper 95-5001, AIAA 3rd Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Colorado Springs, CO, October 1985.
- Mineck R. E., “Assessment of Potential Aerodynamic Benefits from Spanwise Blowing at the Wing Tip,” Doctor of Science Dissertation, George Washington University, May 1992.
- Zimmer H., “The Aerodynamic Optimization of Wings at Subsonic Speeds and the Influence of Wingtip Design,” NASA TM-88534, May 1987.