This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal-Mechanical Stresses Induced in the Fabrication and Curing of Multilayered Fabric and Wire Reinforced Elastomeric Hose
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A simple one dimensional radial displacement plane stress analysis is used to establish new equilibrium states at each of eight significant thermal and mechanical manufacturing stages of spiral hose fabrication. Individual effects are assumed additive. Cumulative layer hoop stress is used to approximate off-angle helical wire tension in the cured mandrel-free composite. These locked-in fabrication tensions are then superimposed on previously obtained thin shell laminate finite element results for a representative pressurized hose type. On an average, the locked in pre-tensions amounted to almost twenty percent of finite element generated pressurized tensions. Consequently, effective hose design must include both fabrication and working pressurized consideration.
CitationBreig, W., "Thermal-Mechanical Stresses Induced in the Fabrication and Curing of Multilayered Fabric and Wire Reinforced Elastomeric Hose," SAE Technical Paper 931961, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/931961.
- Reuter R. C. Analysis of Test Methods for High Modulus Fibers and Composites ASTM Special Technical Publication 521 264 276 1973
- Tarnopol'skii Y. M. Beil A. I. Handbook of Composites, Volume 4, Fabrication of Composites Elsevier Science Publishers B.V. 45 108 1983
- Agarwal B. D. Broutman L. J. Analysis and Performance of Fiber Composites John Wiley and Sons 1980
- Walter J. D. Patel H. P. Rubber Chemistry and Technology 52 1979 710 724
- Clark S. K. Rubber Chemistry and Technology 56 372 389 1983
- Breig W. F. SAE Paper 911869 91 109 1991
- Breig W. F. SAE Paper 921680 1 21 1992
- Ishikawa T. Chou T. W. Journal of Materials Science 17 3211 3200 1982
- Yang J. M. Ma C. L. Chou T. W. 29th National SAMPE Symposium Reno, Nevada 292 303 1984
- Cifuentes A. O. Shareef I. A. ASME Paper 91-WA-EEP-3 1991
- Collings T. A. Stone D. E. W. Composites 16 307 316 1985
- Nairn J. A. Polymer Composites 6 2 123 130 1985
- Deteresa S. J. Nicolais L. Polymer Composites 9 3 192 197 1988