This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Mechanical CNG-Diesel Dual Fuel Supply System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Using CNG (compressed natural gas) as a fuel for diesel engines certainly results in the reduction of pollutant emissions. Having several merits in the viewpoints of the wide driving range due to the running possibility by using only diesel fuel, and no major modification on the engine, dual fuel engine is much effective and adequate than other CNG types to improve air quality in urban areas.
In order to convert existing diesel engine for truck to CNG-diesel operation, it is necessary to compromise engine power with emissions.
In this study, we have developed a CNG-diesel dual fuel supply system through the modification of mechanism in injection pump, the supplement of gas mixer, and mechanical control system and measured power, fuel consumption rate, and emissions.
|Technical Paper||Natural Gas and Biogas Use in Transit Bus Fleets - A Technical, Operational and Environmental Approach|
|Technical Paper||New Perspectives on Auto Propane as a Mass-Scale Motor Vehicle Fuel|
|Book||Engine Emissions Measurement Handbook|
CitationJeong, D., Suh, S., Oh, S., and Choi, K., "Development of a Mechanical CNG-Diesel Dual Fuel Supply System," SAE Technical Paper 931947, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/931947.
- Klimstra J., “The Dynamixer - A Natural Gas Carburetor System for Lean Burn Vehicle Engines”, SAE paper 901498, 1990.
- Perry G. C. Gettel L. and O'SuIlivan P. J., “Development of a Microprocessor Controlled Dual Fuel System for the Use with Caterpillar 3406 B PEEC Engine Control”, 2nd Conf. Exhibition, NGV 90, 1990.
- Callan T. J. and Elder S. T., “Comparison of Spark Ignition and Dual-Fuel Conversions for an Automotive Diesel Engine”, First Int. Conf. Exhibition NGV 88, 1988.
- Mariani F., “The Development of Italian NGV Technology”, 3rd Int. Conf. Exhibition NGV 92, 1992.
- “For the Commercialization of NGV”, Japan Gas Association, 1991.
- UnichAndrea BataReda M. and LyonsBonald W., “Natural Gas: A Promising Fuel for I. C. Engines”, SAE paper 930929, 1993.
- “North American Combustion Handbook - 2nd Edition”, 1983.