This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of Varied Filter Systems on Engine Wear and Lube Oil Service Life
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A series of comparative evaluation tests to determine the influence of varied filter systems on engine wear and lube oil service life had been conducted.
The performance of varied filter systems has been appraised on the basis of measuring the wear of main and rod bearings and the criterion of lube oil.
The test results show that a full-flow filter which combines with any kind of effective by-pass filters can still decrease the engine wear clearly, even if the full-flow filter is good enough, and a paper full-flow filter combines with the by-pass centrifugal filter can decrease the bearing wear by 40∼62% and increase the service life of the lube oil and full-flow filter to double.
Due to extended engine and lube oil service life with the use of an effective by-pass filter, the extra cost of installing and maintaining the by-pass filter, the extra cost of installing and maintaining the by-pass filter can be recovered double over, providing the lowest total cost for the engine user.
|Technical Paper||By-Pass Lube Oil Filtration|
|Technical Paper||Improving Engine Durability via Filters and Lubricants|
|Technical Paper||Diesel Engine Wear with Spin - On By - Pass Lube Oil Filters|
CitationJin-Xiu, L., Jun, Z., Yong - Zhao, J., and Jian - Jie, C., "The Influence of Varied Filter Systems on Engine Wear and Lube Oil Service Life," SAE Technical Paper 931941, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/931941.
- Phillips O.H. Lane P.D. Shadday M. C. “Diesel Engine Wear with Spin-On By-Pass Lube Oil Filters” SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 790089 1979
- Butler J.L. Stewart J.P. Teasley R.E. “Lube Oil Filtration Effect on Diesel Engine Wear” SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 710813 1971
- Alexander W.R. Murohy L.T. Shank G. L. “Improving Engine Durability via Filters and Lubricants” SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 852125 1985
- Jin-Xiu Lin Jun Zhou Yong-Zhao Ji Jian-Jie Chen “Methods to Increase Rotor Speed of Centrifugal Oil Filter” SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 852179 1985
- GB 7607-87 “ODil-Changing Criterion for motorcar Diesel Engine Oil in Use” 1987