This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improvement Of Cylinder Liner Materials Wear Resistance.
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE Brasil
The higher load in heavy duty Diesel engines and the use of piston ring coatings with higher wear resistance cause more severe working conditions to the cylinder liners. In some cases, high localized wear occurs at the top dead center (TDC) of the first groove ring, where the loads and lubrication conditions are critical.
It was studied the effect of the addition of hard particles on cylinder liner materials. The presence of these particles was obtained through the use of small quantities of strong carbide forming alloying elements: Vanadium, Niobium and Titanium.
Cylinder liners with hard particle addition were tested in comparison to regular liners. This test used high sulfur fuel (> 1.0 wt %) and low additivation lubricant oil, maintaining the same ring pack configuration for both liners.
The results showed sensible liner wear reduction at the TDC of the first ring without compromising the ring pack performance.
|Technical Paper||Application of DLC Coating in Cylinder Liners for Friction Reduction|
|Technical Paper||Wear Study of Coated Heavy Duty Exhaust Valve Systems in a Experimental Test Rig|
|Technical Paper||A Copper-Lead Bearing Corrosion Test Replacement|
CitationVatavuk, J. and Demarchi, V., "Improvement Of Cylinder Liner Materials Wear Resistance.," SAE Technical Paper 931671, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/931671.
- Vatavuk, J. Mariano, J.R. “Wear Resistant Nodular Iron for Piston Rings” CBMM paper 1989
- Vatavuk, J. et al. 1990
- Ishizuki, Y. et al. “Effect of Cylinder Liner Wear on Oil Consumption in Heavy Duty Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 810931
- Azevedo, M. N. D. “Engine Life Expectancy - Dynamometer Endurance Test Proposal” Internal Report - RT-216.048 - Metal Leve 1991
- “COFAP - Material Catalogue” 2nd 1986
- Steven, G Nehrenberg, A.E. Philip, T.V. “High Performance High-Speed Steels by Design” Transactions of the ASM 57 925 948
- “Comparativo de Camadas em Durabilidade de 2000 horas” Internal Report - CTPM/R-91215 - Cofap 1991
- “Engine Life Expectancy Program” Internal Report - R-EP-034/92 - Cofap 1992