This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development Of Nitrided Oil Control Rings With Contoured Rails
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE Brasil
The application of multipiece oil control rings (two segments or rails and one expander) to Otto engines is very efficient and has been used for many years. However, development work to improve their performance, durability and manufacturing costs is desirable. The contoured segment is an alternative to reduce the variation of oil ring unit pressure during engine life.
This paper shows the results of engine tests with this component, where nitrided segments with regular stainless steel expanders and nitrided expanders were used. The results showed satisfactory behaviour, with low wear between segments and nitrided expanders as well as between segments and the cylinder wall.
CitationDemarchi, V. and Vatavuk, J., "Development Of Nitrided Oil Control Rings With Contoured Rails," SAE Technical Paper 931670, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/931670.
- Demarchi, V. Vatavuk, J. Configurations and Materials of Oil Control Rings to Meet the New I.C.E. Requirements SAE Paper 921451
- Essig, G. Kamp. H. Wacker, E. Diesel Engine Emissions Reduction - The Benefits of Low Oil Consumption Design SAE Paper 900591
- Schramm, J. Sorenson, S.C. Effects of Lubricating Oil on Hydrocarbon Emis sions in a S.I. Engine SAE Paper 890622
- Hill, S. H. Sytsma, S.J. A Systems Approach to Oil Consumption SAE Paper 910743
- Demarchi, V. Vatavuk, J. Estado da Arte do Desenvolvimento de Segmentos e Espaçadores Nitretados Internal Report CTPM/R-93259 - COFAP - 1993 Unpublished material
- Demarchi, V. Vatavuk, J. Segmentos Perfilados Nitretados Internal Report CTPM/R-88176 - COFAP 1988 Unpublished material
- High-Power Steel Ring for Modern Engines Riken Technical Paper – RTP1 - Japan 1991