This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aircraft Nose Gear Shimmy Studies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An overview of previous studies involving aircraft nose gear shimmy behavior is given together with some test results identifying the influence of different factors inducing shimmy. A NASA Langley test program conducted at the Landing Loads Track (LLT) facility to evaluate shimmy characteristics of an actual Space Shuttle nose gear is described together with some of the test results. Based on results from these various evaluations, recommendations are made concerning nose gear design features, such as corotating wheels, to minimize the occurrence of shimmy.
CitationYager, T., "Aircraft Nose Gear Shimmy Studies," SAE Technical Paper 931401, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/931401.
- Smiley, R.F. Correlation, Evaluation, and Extension of Linearized Theories for Tire Motion and Wheel Shimmy NACA TN 3632 June 1956
- Collins, R.L. Black, R.J. Tire Parameters for Landing Gear Shimmy Studies AlAA Journal of Aircraft May-June 1969 252 258
- Black, R.J. Realistic Evaluation of Landing Gear Shimmy Stabilization by Test and Analysis SAE Paper 760496 April 1976
- Currey, Norman S. Aircraft Landing Gear Design: Principles and Practices Published by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Inc. Washington, DC 1988
- Attri, N.S. Domandl, H. Impact of Tire Dynamic Properties of Airplane Landing Gear Shimmy Boeing Report No. D6-58384-20TN October 1970
- Von Schlippe, B. Shimmying of a Pneumatic Wheel NACA TM-1365 August 1954 125 147
- Moreland, W.J. The Story of Shimmy Journal of the Aeronautical Sciences 21 12 December 1954 793 808
- Smiley, R.F. Horne, W.B. Mechanical Properties of Pneumatic Tires with Special Reference to Modern Aircraft Tires NASA TR R-64 1960
- Davis, P.A. Stubbs, S.M. Tanner, J.A. Langley’s Aircraft Landing Dynamics Facility NASA RP 1 198 October 1987