This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Detailed Design of a 250-kW Switched Reluctance Starter/Generator for an Aircraft Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The work reported in this paper has been conducted by General Electric Company and Sundstrand Corporation as part of a contract sponsored by the USAF, Wright Laboratories, and WPAFB under contract no. F33615-90-C-2052. The objective of this contract is to prove the feasibility of an integral starter/generator (IS/G) through the preliminary design stage and demonstrate the starter/generator technology in the externally-mounted version (EIS/G) using switched reluctance (SR) machine technology. This paper reports on the detailed design and analysis of the EIS/G. The analysis and design encompassed definition of requirements and constraints, electromagnetic design, thermal analysis, mechanical stress and fit analysis, bearing and critical speed analysis, and mechanical layout and packaging. The results show that when properly designed the SR machine has a very competitive power density when compared to existing aircraft secondary power generator, and that the machine is capable of meeting the application performance requirements.
CitationFerreira, C. and Richter, E., "Detailed Design of a 250-kW Switched Reluctance Starter/Generator for an Aircraft Engine," SAE Technical Paper 931389, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/931389.
- Cronin, M.J. The All-Electric Airplane Revisited Aerospace Power System Technology SAE Publ. No. SP-758, Paper No. 881407 Oct. 1988 9 27
- Richter, E. Switched Reluctance Machines for High Performance Operations in a Harsh Environment - A Review Paper Proceedings of the ICEM 1990 Boston, MA
- Richter, E. et al. The Integral Starter/Generator Development Progress Proceedings of the SAE Aerospace Atlantic 1992 Dayton, OH
- Radun, A. et al. Switched Reluctance Starter/Generator Proceedings of the SAE Aerotech ‘92 Anaheim, CA
- Preston, M.A. Lyons, J.P. A Switched Reluctance Motor Model with Material Coupling and Multi-Phase Excitation.
- Lyons, J.P. et al. Flux/Current Methods for SRM Rotor Position Estimation Conf. Record, IEEE Industry Application Society Annual Meeting Oct. 1991
- Stephens, C.M. Fault Detection and Management System for Fault Tolerant Switched Reluctance Motor Drives Conf. Record, IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting Sept. 1989 574 578
- Radun, A.V. High Power Density Switched Reluctance Motor Drive for Aerospace Applications IEEE Trans. in Ind. 28 1 113 119 Jan./Feb. 1992
- MacMinn, S.R. Jones, W.D. A Very High Speed Switched Reluctance Starter- Generator for Aircraft Engine Applications Proc. NAECON 89 Dayton, OH
- MacMinn, S.R. Sember, J.W. Control of a Switched Reluctance Aircraft- Engine Starter-Generator Over a Wide Speed Range Proc. IECEC 89 Washington, DC