This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Development of a New SAE Truck Tire-Pavement Interaction Noise Measurement Procedure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A summary of the committee engaged in the development of a revised SAE J57 Truck Tire Noise Measurement Standard is presented. This discussion reviews the evaluations of the current standard, current and proposed international standards, and the key changes in the proposed revision to SAE J57. A major expansion to the scope of the current standard tackled by the committee was the effect of environmental conditions. The effects of road surface temperature, ambient air temperature, and wind are discussed. The measurement limitations and corrections implemented to address these factors are also described. Another key issue discussed is the effect of pavement surface. Cited references indicate that the effects of road surface variation can be greater than tire design differences. The committee developed a specification for a standardized surface to address this concern. Another improvement of the current standard is in the specification of tire operating conditions. The topics of tire warm-up, break-in, inflation pressure, and loading were all reconsidered and the resulting specifications are discussed. A unique feature of the SAE J57 standard is the requirement that testing be done using a truck or van. The committee felt that this was a potential source of measurement error and proposed an alternative test method using a trailer. This proposed trailer and procedure are described in detail. Other topics discussed include methods to insure test repeatability and data reporting requirements.
CitationThompson, J., "The Development of a New SAE Truck Tire-Pavement Interaction Noise Measurement Procedure," SAE Technical Paper 931277, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/931277.
- SAE J57 “Sound Levels of Highway Truck Tires” Society of Automotive Engineers
- CFR “The Interstate Motor Carrier Noise Emission Standard”
- CFR “Transportation Equipment Noise Emission Controls” Subpart B Medium and Heavy Trucks
- SAE J366 Exterior Sound level for Heavy Trucks and Buses
- SAE J1470 Measurement of Noise Emitted by Accelerating Highway Vehicles
- Acoustics - Measurement of Noise Emitted by Accelerating Road Vehicles Engineering Method
- Automobile/Motorcycle Noise Test Method 1988 Japan
- European Tie and Rim Technical Organization Proposal “Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of a Range of Ties with Regard to Tire/Road Sound Emission Level” February 3 1992
- Osman, M.M. May, D.N. “Relative Influence of Pavement Texture and Tire Type on Pavement/Tire Noise.” SAE 800282
- Leasure, W.A. Bender, E. K. “Tire-Road Interaction Noise,” J. Acous. Soc. Am. 58 1 July 1975 39 50
- Howell, T.M. Schumacher, R.F. “Vehicle Sound Measurement- 20 Years of Testing ,” SAE 850969
- Test Surface for Road Vehicle Noise Measurement ISO/TC 43/SC 1/WG