This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Local Heat Transfer on a Combustion Chamber Wall of a Spark-Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Instantaneous local heat transfer coefficients on the wall surface of combustion chamber were estimated experimentally using a four cycle, L-type, single cylinder, spark-ignition engine. The effects of gas flow and flame propagation on the heat transfer coefficients were investigated. Local heat flux was measured at twenty four positions on the cylinder head using a fast-response heat flux sensor developed by the authors, and the pressure in the combustion chamber was measured simultaneously. The burned- and unburned gas temperatures were calculated from a two-zone model. The flame arrival time at a position of cylinder head surface was also measured and flame velocity was calculated. The results showed that the maximum heat flux decreases as the flame arrival time increases. An empirical correlation between Nusselt number based on the local heat transfer coefficient and Reynolds number based on the flame velocity is derived from the experimental investigation of spark-ignition engine.
CitationHarigaya, Y., Toda, F., and Suzuki, M., "Local Heat Transfer on a Combustion Chamber Wall of a Spark-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 931130, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/931130.
- Nusselt W, “Der Wärmeübergang in der Verbrennungskraftmaschine,” VDI-Z, 67, 692-695(1923).
- Eichlberg G., “Some New Investigations on Old Combustion Engine Problems,” Engineering, 148, 463-466(1939).
- Annand W. J. D., “Heat Transfer in the Cylinder of Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng., 177-36, 937-990(1963).
- Woschni G., “A Universally Applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Paper 670913(1967).
- Pflaum W. and Mollenhauer K., “Wärmeübergang in der Verbrennungskraftmaschine,” Springer-Verlag, Wien, 1977.
- Borman G. and Nishiwaki K., “Internal Combustion Engine Heat Transfer,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 13-1, 1-46(1987).
- Heywood J. B., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals,” McGraw-Hill, New York, 1988.
- Ramos J. I., “Internal Combustion Engine Modeling,” Hemisphere, New York, 1989.
- Alkidas A. C., “Heat Transfer Characteristics of a Spark-Ignition Engine,” Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 102, 189-193 (1980).
- Alkidas A. C. and Myers J. P., “Transient Heat Flux Measurements in the Combustion Chamber of a Spark-Ignition Engine,” Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 104, 62-67 (1982).
- Alkidas A. C. and Suh In-Soo, “The Effects of Intake-Flow Configuration on the Heat-Release and Heat-Transfer Characteristics of a Single-Cylinder Four-Valve S. I. Engine,” SAE Paper No. 910296(1991).
- Gilaber P. and Pinchon P., “Measurements and Multidimensional Modeling of Gas-Wall Heat Transfer in a S. I. Engine,” SAE Paper 880516(1988).
- Puzinauskas P., Borgnakke C., “Evaluation and Improvement of an Unsteady Heat Transfer Model for Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Paper 910298(1991).
- Tomita E., Hamamoto Y., and Sasaki H., “Heat Flux from Tarbulent Premixed Flame to the Wall of a Constant Vessel,” Trans. of JSME, Vol. 55, No. 512, 1229-1233(1989).
- Harigaya Y., Yoshida M., Toad E, and Ohyagi S., “Heat Loss on Fast-Burn Combustion System of Spark-Ignition Engine,” Trans. of JSAE, No. 26, 49-57(1983).
- Ohyagi S., Harigaya Y., Kakizaki K., and Toda F., “Estimation of Flame Propagation in Spark-Ignition Engine by Using Turbulent Burning Model,” Proc. COMODIA, 503-510(1985).
- Toda F, Harigaya Y., Ohyagi S., Iwamoto S., and Yoshida M., “Relation between Instantaneous Heat Flux and Flame Propagation in a Quick-Burning Combustion System of a Spark-Ignition Engine,” Trans. of JSAE, No. 33 (1986).
- Toda F., Harigaya Y., Ohyagi S., Iwamoto S., and Yoshida M., “Instantaneous Heat Flux in Side Valve Type Spark-Ignition Engine,” JSAE Review, Vol. 7, No. 1, 16-25(1986).
- Harigaya Y., Toda F., Ohyagi S., and Tsuji H., “Surface Temperature and Wall Heat Flux in a Spark-Ignition Engine Under Knocking and Non-Knocking Conditions,” Proc. SETC, 369-378(1989), (SAE paper 891795).
- Yoshida M., Harigaya Y., and Sato K., “Variation of Heat Flux through a Combustion Chamber Wall of Pre-chamber Type Diesel Engine (Heat Flux through Piston Crown, Cylinder Head, Suction Valve, Exhaust Valve, Pre-combustion Chamber and Exhaust Port Wall),” Bull. of JSME, 25-201, 426-437(1982).
- Lucht R. P., Dunn-Rankin D., Walter T., Dreier T., and Bopp S. C., “Heat Transfer in Engines: Comparison of Cars Thermal Boundary Layer Measurements and Heat Flux Measurements,” SAE Paper 910722(1991).