This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a New Multi-Mode Variable Valve Timing Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The 4-stroke SI engine offers better performance if its valve events can be varied depending on the operating conditions. Some engines in production are therefore incorporated with variable valve timing (VVT) mechanisms. All of such mechanisms available today however are for two-mode change-over between low-and high-speed operations.
To achieve even better output and fuel economy, a new multi-mode VVT mechanism has been developed, featured by a unique hydraulic device for three-mode change-over as follows:
- Deactivate both intake and exhaust valves
- Select low-speed cam with moderate lifts and short durations
- Select high-speed cam with high lifts and long durations
This mechanism enables shutting off unnecessary cylinders during low-speed cruise, or select optimum valve events during WOT acceleration over the entire engine speed range. The engine with this VVT demonstrates a fuel economy improvement up 16% during the Japanese test driving cycle and a power increase by 20% from its predecessor.
CitationHatano, K., Iida, K., Higashi, H., and Murata, S., "Development of a New Multi-Mode Variable Valve Timing Engine," SAE Technical Paper 930878, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930878.
- Fukui T. Nakagami T. Endo H. Katsumoto T. Danno Y. “Mitsubishi Orion-MD A New Variable Displacement Engine” SAE Paper 831007 1983
- Takahashi A. Tsunetomi K. Akishino K. Endo H. Danno Y. “Mitsubishi's Compound Intake System Engine” SAE Paper 850035 1985
- Inoue K. Nagahiro K. Ajiki Y. Kishi N. “A High Power,Wide Torque Range,Efficient Engine with a Newly Developed Variable-Valve-Timing Mechanism” SAE Paper 890675
- Bassi A. Arcari F. Perrone F. “C.E.M.-The Alfa Romeo Engine Management System-Design Concepts-Trends for the Future” SAE Paper 850290 1985
- Maekawa K. Ohsawa N. Akasaka A. “Development of a Valve Timing Control, System” SAE Paper 890680 1989
- Grohn M. Wolf K. “Variable Valve Timing in the new Mercedes-Benz Four-Valve Engine” SAE Paper 891990 1989