This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Objective Evaluation of the Simulated Handling Characteristics of a Vehicle in a Double Lane Change Manoeuvre
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Computer simulation of the handling characteristics of a vehicle performing a double lane change manoeuvre is investigated as an aid for vehicle development. An existing computer simulation program for vehicle dynamics was upgraded to perform transient handling simulations. Furthermore a driver model was developed to steer the vehicle along a prescribed path during closed loop simulations. Good agreement was obtained between experimental and simulated results. The simulation program is demonstrated to be an aid for the objective evaluation of the influence of vehicle characteristics on handling in a double lane change.
CitationNaude, A. and Steyn, J., "Objective Evaluation of the Simulated Handling Characteristics of a Vehicle in a Double Lane Change Manoeuvre," SAE Technical Paper 930826, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930826.
- Weber R Vehicle handling , Course manual, Laboratory for Advanced Engineering, University of Pretoria 1987
- ISO/TR3888 , Road vehicles - Test procedure for a severe lane-change manoeuvre, International Organization for Standardization 1975
- Zomotor A Braess H.H. Rönitz R Doppelter Fahrspohrwechsel - Eine Mogelichkeit für Beurteilingdes Fahrverhaltensvon Kraftfahrzeugen, Automobil Technishe Zeitschrift 76 1974
- Haarhoff P.C. More L.D. Steyn J.L. Genrit - 'n Algemene voertuigmodel vir simulasie van ritdinamika: Deel 5 - Rekenaarprogram, (A general vehicle model for simulation of ride dynamics: Part 5 - Computer program), Laboratory for Advanced Engineering, Report number 84/113, University of Pretoria 1984
- DADS, Theoretical Manual, Rev. 5.0, Computer Aided Design Software, University of Iowa 1988
- Simpack, a computer program for simulation of large-motionmultibodysystems, MAN-Technologie AG, München 1989
- Pacejka H.B. Modelling of the pneumatic tire and its impact on vehicle dynamic behaviour, CCG - Lehrgang 2.03 Carl Cranz Geselschaft, Oberpfaffenhofen 1986
- Segel L. Erwin R. Fancher P. The mechanics of heaw-dutv trucks and truck combinations , The International Association for Vehicle Design, Aston Aunton UK 1981
- Zomotor A. Fahrwerktechnik: Fahrverhalten , Vogel Buchverlag, Wurzburg 1987
- Naude A.F. Onaestadiae hanterinasaedraa van voertuie , (Unsteady handling characteristics of vehicles) Masters thesis, University of Pretoria 1990
- Trom J.D. Vanderploeg M.J. Bernard J.E. Application of inverse models to vehicle optimization problems, Vehicle System Dynamics 19 2 97 110 1990