This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Computer Simulation Analysis of Safety Critical Maneuvers for Assessing Ground Vehicle Dynamic Stability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Ground vehicle dynamic stability, including spinout and rollover, is highly dependent on maneuvering conditions and the nonlinear force response characteristics of tires. Depending on vehicle configuration, unstable behavior requires high, sustained lateral acceleration, and some maneuver induced excitation of the roll and yaw mode dynamics. Dynamic instability in some vehicles can be induced by a steering reversal maneuver that involves sustained limit performance lateral acceleration. Using a validated vehicle dynamics simulation, analysis is presented to illustrate what constitutes a critical stability sensitive maneuver.
Two example test cases are used to show that a critical stability sensitive maneuver must be more severe than a single lane change. Even reaching tire saturation limits during an aggressive single lane change does not give the sustained lateral acceleration required to provoke instability conditions. One test case involves a utility vehicle that has been shown to be sensitive to rollover conditions. The second example test case involves a small sedan that has been shown to be prone to spinout due to rear biased lateral load transfer distribution. The vehicle shows a stable single lane change response but spins out when an aggressive lateral maneuver of two lane widths is attempted. Some interesting effects of four wheel steer laws applied to this vehicle are also demonstrated. The objective of these examples is to demonstrate how dependent dynamic stability is on maneuvering conditions.
CitationAllen, R. and Rosenthal, T., "A Computer Simulation Analysis of Safety Critical Maneuvers for Assessing Ground Vehicle Dynamic Stability," SAE Technical Paper 930760, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930760.
- Allen R.W. Szostak H.T. Rosenthal T.J. “Steady State and Transient Analysis of Ground Vehicle Handling,” SAE Paper No. 870495 Feb. 1987
- Allen R.W. Szostak Henry T. et al “Field Testing and Computer Simulation Analysis of Ground Vehicle Dynamic Stability,” SAE Paper 900127 Feb. 1990
- Allen R.W. Szostak Henry T. et al “Characteristics Influencing Ground Vehicle Lateral/Directional Dynamic Stability,” SAE Paper 910234 , also included in SAE SP-861 Feb. 1991
- Allen R.W. Rosenthal T.J. et al “Validation of Ground Vehicle Computer Simulations Developed for Dynamic Stability Analysis,” SAE Paper 920054 , also included in SAE SP-909 Feb. 1992
- Allen R.W. Szostak H.T. et al Vehicle Dynamic Stability and Rollover , Systems Technology, Inc. Technical Report TR 1268-1 Hawthorne, Calif. Sept. 1991
- Bernard J.E. Bhatnagar A. Clover C.L. Evaluation of Select Vehicle Dynamics-Phase II Final Report , IOWA 9114-C11302, Iowa State University College of Engineering June 1992
- Chrstos J.P. Heydinger G.J. Evaluation of NHTSA Light Vehicle Handling Simulations , National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Research and Test Center, Report VRTC-87-0086 Aug. 1992
- Allen R.W. Szostak H.T. et al Analytical Modeling of Driver Response in Crash Avoidance Maneuvering: Vol. I-Technical Background , DOT-HS-807 270 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Apr. 1988
- Graham D. McRuer D.T. Analysis of Nonlinear Control Systems John Wiley & Sons New York 1961
- Leigh J.R. Essentials of Nonlinear Control Theory Peter Peregrinus, Ltd London, UK 1983
- Allen R.W. Hogue J.R. Parseghian Z. “Manual Control of Unstable Systems,” 21st Annual Conf. on Manual Control, NASA CP-2428 May 1986 32.1 32.18
- Gillespie T.D. Ervin R.D. Comparative Study of Vehicle Roll Stability , Report No. UMTRI-83-25, Univ. of Michigan Transportation Institute May 1983
- Sano S. Furukawa Y. Shiraishi S. “Four-Wheel Steering System with Rear Wheel Steer Angle Controlled as a Function of Steering Wheel Angle,” SAE Paper No. 860625 Feb. 1986