This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
New 12L 6WA1TC Turbocharged Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
GVW 20 ton class cargo trucks were mainly powerd by L6 turbocharged engines ISUZU 6SD1TC and ISUZU 6RB1TC, and this time new 6WA1TC turbocharged engine with intercooler as a successor to 6RB1TC went into production in July 1992.
In the recent cargo vehicle market in Japan, demand is increasing for higher out-put power, light weight, long service life, high reliability and low fuel consumption. Under such circumstances special engineering attention was paid to exhaust emissions and noise regulations which are expected to become even stricter in future.
The basic engine structure consists of an OHC 4-valve type cylinder head and a ladder frame type cylinder block which satisfies the requirements for the high out-put power, low fuel consumption and light weight. Also, adopted are various variable structures such as a high pressure fuel injection pump with a variable injection timing and rate control device, variable swirl system and variable geometry turbocharger.
CitationKita, M., Wakabayashi, M., and Honjo, K., "New 12L 6WA1TC Turbocharged Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 930718, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930718.
- Hashimoto T., Okada K. and Oikawa T., “ISUZU new 9.8L disel engine with variable geometry turbocharger” S.A.E. paper 860460
- Takenaka K., Nitta Y. and Kubota K., “ISUZU new H-series diesel engines” S.A.E. paper 910628
- Ishiwata H. and Okubo H. “A new series of timing and injection rate control systems-Ad-Tics and P-Tics” S.A.E. paper 880491
- Kubomiya T., Kuwahara T. and Araki K. “Permanent Magnetic Retarder in Commercial Vehicles” S.A.E. paper 922455
- Wakabayashi M., Sakata S. and Hamanaka K. “ISUZU's new 12.0L micro-computer controlled turbocharged diesel engine” S.A.E. paper 840510