This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Exhaust Manifold Muffler
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The muffler layout in the exhaust system has been optimized for the attenuation of exhaust noise which has not been studied much to this date. As a result, “Exhaust Manifold Muffler” has been developed. This unit is capable of efficiently muffling the primary and secondary componemts of the engine explosion stroke noise. Such task is achieved without deterioration of engine performance by allocating the volume at the junction of the exhaust manifold branch pipes.
Acoustic characteristics of “Exhaust Manifold Muffler” have been analyzed by FEM and experimental methods, which have shown that not only does the volume placed at the junction of the exhaust manifold branch pipes work as a conventional muffler, but also prevents the exhaust manifold branch pipes from amplifying exhaust noise. This is the reason why “Exhaust Manifold Muffler” can muffle more efficiently than the conventional muffler.
|NVH and Modal Analysis of Thermal-Acoustical Protective Shields
|Prediction of Vehicle Radiated Noise
|Muffler Sound Development Using Analysis of Acoustic Source of Engine Exhaust System
CitationHosomi, M., Ogawao, S., Imagawa, T., and Hokazono, Y., "Development of Exhaust Manifold Muffler," SAE Technical Paper 930625, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930625.
- Fukuda M. Okuda J. “Noise Prevention and Muffler Design” Kyoritsu Suppan 1967
- Takizawa M. Uno T. Oue T. Yura T. “A Study of Gas Excharge Process Simulation of an Automotive Multi-Cylinder Inteanal Combustion Engine” SAE paper 820410
- Katayama T. Kobayashi Y. Imai M. Konomi T. “An Estimation of Method for Acoustic Characteristics of Muffler” Toyota Tech 41 2 21 31 1991
- Takeyama S. Hideaki T. Takagi Y. “Reduction in Exhaust Noise Throught Exhaust Valving Modifications Achieved With a Gas Dynamics Simulation Model” SAE paper 910617
- Hokazono Y. et al. “Study of a Two-degree-of-freedom Exhaust System” SAE paper 900164
- Ohnishi K. Nobumoto H. Ohsumi T. Hitimi M. “Developement of Prediction Technology of Intake and Exhaust System Performance using Computer Simulation” Matsuda Tech 1988