This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Analysis of the Combustion of a DI Diesel Engine by Photograph Processing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To analyze the combustion phenomena of DI diesel engines in detail, the “cross-correlation method” and the “two-color method” have been applied to measure the combustion flame motion and the flame temperature, respectively by processing the high speed photographs. The purpose of this investigation is to study the effects of engine parameters such as pumping rate, injector nozzle hole size, and injection timing on combustion processes; particularly on flame motion and flame temperature.
The results showed that the flame motion was more active during the injection period; and after the end of injection, the motion of flame was largely governed by the air swirl. Increasing fuel pumping rate and using a small hole area injector nozzle, caused the flame motion to become more active, especially during the injection period.
The flame temperature was higher with both increased pumping rate and advanced injection timing. Using a small hole area injector nozzle, the results showed that the flame temperature was lowered in the premixed combustion stage and increased in the diffusion combustion stage.
Experimental results concering flame motion and flame temperature under different operating conditions are shown to correlate well with engine data such as heat release rate and changes in engine exhaust gas emissions of NOx, black smoke, etc.
CitationZhang, L., Minami, T., Takatsuki, T., and Yokota, K., "An Analysis of the Combustion of a DI Diesel Engine by Photograph Processing," SAE Technical Paper 930594, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930594.
- Hunter C.E. et al. “Evaluation of Some Factors Controlling DI Diesel Combustion and Exhaust Emissions” Transactions of the ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 111 3 July 1989 376 386
- Van Gerpen J.H. et al. “The Effects of Swirl and Injection Parameters on Diesel Combustion and Heat Transfer” SAE Paper 850265 1985
- Shioji M. et al. “An Analysis of Diesel Engine Flame by Picture Processing” JSME Int. Journal 32 3 1989
- Yamaguchi I. et al. “An Analysis of High Speed Combustion Photographs for D.I. Diesel Engine with High Pressure Fuel Injection” SAE Paper 901577 1990
- Kobayashi S. et al. “Measurement of Flame Temperature Distribution in a D.I. Diesel Engine by Means of Image Analysis of Nega-Color Photographs” SAE Paper 810183 1981
- Kobayashi S. etal. “Measurement of Flame Temperature Distribution in D.I. Diesel Engine with High Pressure Fuel Injection” SAE Paper 920692 1992
- Shakal J. et al. “Effects of Auxiliary Injection on Diesel Engine Combustion” SAE Paper 900398 1990