This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of a New Bumper Beam Using Structural Thermoplastic Composite
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Bumper beam design is greatly influenced by the material selected. This paper reviews the optimization of a beam made of structural thermoplastic composite-glass filled polypropylene. The steps in the development and testing are presented as well as the results of the project.
The development project was started using an existing C-section thermoplastic design. After baseline data was obtained, CAD/FEM iterations and modifications to the bumper beam tool allowed examination of some design options. An I-section beam was then designed and built and provided substantial improvements in performance, weight, and variability of test results.
CitationCrandall, J. and Bhutani, D., "Design of a New Bumper Beam Using Structural Thermoplastic Composite," SAE Technical Paper 930542, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930542.
- Design of Machine Elementsau Faires V.M. McMillan Company 238 241
- Formulas For Stress and Strain Roark R.J. Young W.C. McGraw Hill 89 95
- Mechanics of Materials Higdon Ohlsen Stiles John Wiley & Sons 364 368
- Design of Weldments Blodgett O.W. Lincoln J. R. ISBN 63-1L147 Sect. 2, 3
- Motor Vehicle Safety Regulation No. 581 Bumper Standard - passenger motor vehicles other than multipurpose passenger vehicles
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Status Report 27 1