This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Role of Sensors and Sensing Technology for Future Automotive Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The role of sensors and sensing technologies for the next generation vehicle systems are discussed. The control systems for engines and power-train are expected to realize high efficiency with low pollution and comfort drivability. Vehicular safety and chassis control systems are expected to avoid many kinds of traffic accidents caused by the human errors of drivers. Vehicular information systems will help the drivers to get the information to manage their vehicles economically and efficiency. In every system mentioned above, sensors and sensing technologies are playing an increasingly important role. This paper introduces and discusses essential technologies for sensors and sensing which can be expected to bring the solutions to the future automotive systems.
CitationSasayama, T., Suzuki, S., and Oho, S., "The Role of Sensors and Sensing Technology for Future Automotive Systems," SAE Technical Paper 930358, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930358.
- Sasayama, T., et al., “Investigation of a New Engine Control System for Automotive Engines,” Proc. IECON 1984, Vol. 1, pp. 288 - 292, Oct. 22 - 26, Tokyo, 1984.
- Sasayama, T., et al., “An Advanced Computer Controlled Engine System Employing New Combustion Monitoring Sensors,” Proc. FISITA 1986, No. 865077, Belgrade, June 1986.
- Sasayama, et al., “Recent Developments of Optical Fiber Sensors for Automotive Use,” Fiber and Integrated Optics, Vol. 7, pp. 255 - 271, Oct. 1987.
- Sasaki, K., et al., “Present and Future Powertrain Systems and Associate Control Technologies - The Direction of Nissan's R&D Programs,” Proc. of the 1992 Intern. Congress on Transportation Electronics, Vol. P-260, pp. 271 - 287, Dearborn, Oct. 1992.
- Mizutani, S., “Fuel Economy - The Role of Electronics,” Proc. of the 1992 Intern. Congress on Transportation Electronics, Vol. P-260, pp. 289-297, Dearborn, Oct. 1992.
- Sasayama, T., et al., “Sensing Technology for Autonomous Navigation Systems,” Proc. of ISATA 1992, No. 920027. Florence, June 1992.
- Sasayama, T., et al., “Air-Fuel Ratio Sensor Utilizing Ion Transportation in Zirconia Electrolyte,” SAE Paper, No. 910501, Feb. 1991.
- Suzuki, S., et al., “Air-Fuel Ratio Sensor for Rich, Stoichiometric, and Lean Ranges,” SAE Paper, No. 860408, Feb. 1981.
- Ueno, S., et al., “Air Fuel Ratio Sensor and Its Signal Processing Module,” SAE Paper, No. 930233, Mar. 1993 (to be published).
- Hunt, F., et al., “Study of Wide Range Air-Fuel Ratio Sensor for Exhaust Emission Reduction,” SAE Paper, No. 930233, Mar. 1993 (to be published).
- Sohma, K., et al., “Application of Rapid Optical Measurement to Detect the Fluctuations of Air-Fuel Ratio and Temperature of Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper, No. 910499, Feb. 1991.
- Suzuki, S., et al., “Semiconductor Capacitance-Type Accelerometer with PWM Electrostatic Servo Technique,” Sensors and Actuators, A21 - A23, pp. 316-319, June 1989.
- Asano, et al., “Development of Acceleration Sensor and Acceleration Evaluation System for Super Low Range Frequency,” SAE Paper, No. 910273, Feb. 1991.
- MacDonald, G. A., “A Review of Low Cost Accelerometers for Vehicle Dynamics,” Sensors and Actuators, A21 - A23, pp. 303 - 307, June 1989.
- Suzuki, S., et al., “Semiconductor Capacitance-Type Accelerometer with PWM Electrostatic Servo Technique,” SAE Paper, No. 910274, Feb. 1991.
- Koide, A., et al., “A Multi-step Anisotropic Etching Process for Producing 3-D Silicon Accelerometers,” Tech. Digest of the 11 th Sensor Symposium 1992, pp. 23 - 26, Tokyo, May 1992.
- Koide, A., et al., “Simulation of Two-Dimensional Etch Profile of Silicon During Orientation-Dependent Anisotropic Etching,” Proc. of IEEE MEMS '91, pp. 216 - 220, Nara, Feb., 1991.
- Suzuki, S., et al., “Semiconductor Capacitance-type Crash Sensor for Airbag Systems,” Proc. of Micro System Technologies 1992, pp. 383 - 392, Berlin, Oct. 1992.
- Tsuchitani, S., et al., “Ground Velocity Sensor Using Spatial Filter,” Proc. Confernce on Lasers and Electro-Optics 1988, No. WY5, Anahaim, April, 1988.
- Tsuchitani, S., et al., “Analysis on Window Function of Spatial Filter for Velocity Measurement and Its Realization Method,” Trans. of Soc. of Instrum. and Control Eng., Japan, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 243 - 250, March 1990. (In Japanese)
- Oho, S., et al., “Optical Fiber Gyroscopes for Automobiles,” SAE Paper, No. 900490, Feb., 1990.
- Oho, S., et al., “On-Vehicle Field Evaluation of a Fiber Gyroscope,” Proc. of Symposium of Gyro Technology, Stuttgart, 1986.
- Oho, S., et al., “Automotive Navigation Experiments with Fiber Gyroscope,” Proc. of OFS 88, New Oreans, 1988.
- Oho, S., et al., “An Experimental Study on Optical Fiber Gyroscope for Automotive Applications,” Trans. IECE, J72-C-II, pp. 811 - 819, 1989.
- Oho, S., et al., “Signal Processing Schemes for Open-Loop Optical Fiber Gyroscope,” Proc. OE/Fibers '91, Sept., 1991.
- Washimi, K., et al., “Fiber Optic Gyroscope for an Automobile Navigation System,” SAE Paper, No. 920704, Feb., 1992.
- Kawakami, Y., et al., “The Development of a New Navigation System Compatible with Roadside Beacons,” 25th ISATA Proceedings, Road Transport Informatics/ Intelligent Vehicle Highway Sysyems, No.920113, pp.101 - 108, Florence, June, 1992.
- Kajioka, H., et al., “Fiber Optic Gyro Production at Hitachi,” Proc. SPIE, Fiber Optic Gyros 15th Anniversary Conference, Boston, pp. 3 - 6, Sept. 1991.
- Endo, Y., et al., “A Digital Synchronizing Scheme for GPS Receiver,” Trans. IEICE (Japan), B-131, pp. 2-131, Sept. 1990. (In Japanese)
- Endo, Y., Kuroda, H., and Makino, J., “Development of Digital Synchronizing GPS Receiver,” Trans. IEICE (Japan), B-153, pp. 2-153, March 1991. (In Japanese)
- Vali, V., et al., “Fiber Ring Interferometer,” Applied Optics, Vol. 15, pp.1099, 1976.
- Post, E. J., “Sagnac Effect”, Review of Modern Physics,” Vol.39, No.2, pp. 475 - 493, 1967.
- Bohm, K., et al., “Direct Rotation-Rate Detection with a Fiber-Optic Gyro by Using Digital Data Processing,” Electron. Lett., Vol. 19, pp. 997, 1983.
- Walker, J., “Mobile Information Systems,” Artech House, Boston / London, 1990.