This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Static Characteristics of ZrO2 Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Results of laboratory studies of the static characteristics of several different commercially available heated exhaust gas oxygen sensors are described. In these studies, the emf of the sensors was measured as a function of temperature and of the composition of calibrated gas mixtures. Several different binary gas mixtures (H2/N2, CO/N2, C3H6/N2, C3H8/N2, and CH4/N2) were used together with a variable amount of O2. In addition to laboratory studies, the same sensors were also studied in the exhaust gas of an engine. Whereas at high temperatures thermodynamic equilibrium appears to prevail, clear departures from thermodynamic equilibrium are observed at some lower temperatures (the value of which depends on the specific sensor and the specific gas mixture used). This behavior is manifested by shifts of the emf step away from stoichiometry, broadening of the step, abnormally high emf values in excess oxygen mixtures, and abnormally low emf values in reducing gas mixtures. Results of studies of the steady state response of these sensors in the exhaust of an engine were found to be consistent with the results of the laboratory studies. The experimental data are discussed within the framework of simple models for the gas transport and gas/solid interaction processes.
CitationWang, T., Soltis, R., Logothetis, E., Cook, J. et al., "Static Characteristics of ZrO2 Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensors," SAE Technical Paper 930352, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930352.
- Zechnall R. Baumann G. Eisele H. paper No. 730566 SAE Congress Detroit May 1973
- Rivard R. G. paper No 7300005 SAE Congress Detroit January 1973
- Fleming W. J. J. Electrochem. Soc. 124 21 1977
- Young C. T. Bode J. D. SAE Congress, Paper No. 790143 SAE Congress Detroit February 1979
- Shulman M. A. Hamburg D. R. Paper No. 800018 SAE Congress Detroit February 1980
- Logothetis E. M. Advances in Ceramics 3 388 Heuer A. H. Hobbs L. W. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 1981
- Logothetis E. M. Chemical Sensor Technology 3
- Bozek J. W. Evans R. Tyree C. D. Zerafa K. L. Paper No. 920289 SAE Congress Detroit February 1992
- Fleming W. J. paper No. 800020 SAE Congress Detroit February 1980 Ceramic Eng. Proc., 8th Automotive Mater. Conf. 1 272 1980
- Takeuchi T. Proc. of 2nd Int. Meeting on Chemical Sensors 69 Bordeaux July 1986
- Logothetis E. M. Ceramic Eng. Sci. Proc., 8th Automotive Mater. Confer. 1 281 1980
- Anderson J. E. Graves Y. B. J. Electrochem. Soc. 128 294 1981
- Brailsford A. D. Logothetis E. M. Sensors and Actuators 7 39 1985
- Brailsford A. D. Yussouff M. Logothetis E. M. 4th International Meeting on Chemical Sensors Tokyo Sept. 13 17 1992
- Takeuchi T. Saji K. Igarashi I. Extended Abstracts 78 2 196 1978 154th Meeting of Electrochem. Society Seattle May 1978