This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development and Test of a Dynamic Disengagement Device
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Postcrash fires are a frequent cause of death in otherwise survivable automobile and aircraft accidents. The idea of the ICED (Internal Circuit Emergency Disconnect) battery  is to eliminate electrically ignited postcrash fires by means of an inertial interrupt device that will disconnect the active circuit at the battery if an accident should happen. The design of the prototypes that were tested and the analysis of the disengagement performance will be discussed. A ballistic pendulum impact test rig was designed and used to test the prototypes. The test results and analytical values were shown to be satisfactorily close to each other.
CitationChung, W., Waldron, K., and Ishii, K., "Development and Test of a Dynamic Disengagement Device," SAE Technical Paper 930212, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930212.
- Law Dwight D. August 29 1989
- Hoekstra D. Huang S. C. Safety in General Aviation A Report by Flight Safety Foundation 64 Dec. 1971
- Clark C. “Summary Report on the National Transportation Safety Board's General Aviation Crashworthiness Project Findings,” SAE Technical Paper Series 871006 1987
- Reidelbach Scholz H. “Advanced Restraint System Concepts,” SAE Technical Paper Series 790321 1979
- Breed “Can we Develop Less Expensive Airbags?,” Passenger Car Inflatable Restrain System Viano D. C. 17 21 1987
- Breed “The Breed All-Mechanical Airbag Module,” Passenger Car Inflatable Restrain System Viano D. C. 117 121 1987
- Maugh E. “Supplemental Driver Airbag System - Ford Motor Company Tempo and Topaz Vehicles,” Passenger Car Inflatable Restrain System Viano D. C. 111 116 1987
- “Emergency Locator Transmitters: An Overview,” National Transportation Safety Board, NTSB-AAS-78-1 Jan. 1978
- “Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELT) Equipment Installation and Performance,” Radio Technical Commission for Aeronautics, RTCA/DO-182 Nov. 1982
- Soltis “General Aviation Aircraft/Fuel System Configuration Study Regarding Fuel Bladder Cell Installation,” SAE Technical Paper Series 871011 1987
- Federal Aviation Administration “Part 23 - Airworthiness Standards: Normal, Utility, Acrobatic, and Commuter Category Airplane,” Federal Air Regulations 1991
- Severy M. Mathewson J. H. Siegel A. W. “Automobile Side-Impact Collision, Series II,” Highway Vehicle Safety 11 55 1968
- Severy M. Mathewson J. H. Siegel A. W. “Automobile Head-On Collisions -- Series II,” SAE Transactions 67 238 262 1959
- Sundberg E. etc. Jan. 1974